Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends dad has a graveyard of old bikes on his property and over the past two summers has let me help him fix up project bikes at his shop on his property. He made me a deal that anything I can get up and running I could have so I began working on a 1983 Honda Nighthawk CB750 and I got it running this past summer before I was to head back to college. Unfortunately my parents have a special spot in their heart reserved for hatred of motorcycles (maybe why I want one so badly) and gawked at the idea of me heading to college with this motorcycle. After some deal were made they said I could bring one with a smaller engine with me.

After a quick search we found an old 1974 Kawasaki KE100 in pretty good shape. My buddies dad said the last time it ran it ran completely fine and he never had a problem with it, and said it'd be a good bike to take down with me. The only catch was he didn't know where the keys were for it so I would have to figure that out. After lugging it down with me I began working on it and cleaned the carbeurator and the bike in general. Now all I was missing was the keys, so I went about trying to figure that out. In the end I decided the only thing I could do was hotwire the bike in order to get it running. I looked up the wire diagram and got to work and eventually it lit right up and runs really smoothly for a bike that had sat for nearly 40 years. My current project with it is trying to get the turn signals to blink and the running light/brake light to work. I most likely shorted something in my naive attempts at hot-wiring the bike. Feel free to throw me any advice at all!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Now that it is running, run it over to a locksmith and have then make you a key. It might mean replacing the lock cylinder but that would be a minor expense to really make it right.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
If you don't have the coins to have a key made, you can always just break out the cylinder so the key switch works freely, leave it in the "on" position, but add an "ignition on" toggle switch to the hot lead that goes to the OEM ignition switch. Then hide that little switch somewhere that's not obvious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks eye_m_no_angel, I think that is probably what I'm going to end up doing. Does anyone have an idea what would be wrong with the blinkers/running lights? I'm going to buy a new flasher soon and see if that helps with the blinkers but I'm not quiet sure where to start when it comes to the running lights/brake lights.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can probably get a new switch from EMGO for around $20. Search EBay for your make & model, and ignition switch. Plug 'n' play--- with keys.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
It would help if you had a wiring diagram, but generally speaking what I would do is first make sure you're getting power from the hot-wired ignition switch to the lighting circuit fuse, check that fuse, then start working your way down stream, checking for power at each connector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts