Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm new to these forums and have enjoyed seeing a lot of informative posts!

I'm about to buy my first bike. I've ridden before (overseas) so I'm confident about picking it up again quickly. I put out some feelers and I have a guy offering to sell me his 1972 Honda CB360L for about $1100. He said all it needs is to be 'put in time' which I assume is just to adjust the timing.

Is this a decent deal? I have no clue about bike prices, but I like the vintage look here. I'm good mechanically (at least with cars) so I wouldn't shy away from maintenance, but I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal and a good bike first!

Attached is what the seller said to me in his email:

I have a 72 honda 360CL it has been rebuild from ground up, the only thing left is put in time, and where it is a restore it has to have a restore title done ,which I have all the paper work to have a new title, I have not done yet due to the person I would sold it to would be the original owner,​

Thanks guys, and I hope to contribute to these forums regularly!

jordan

·
Registered
97 Posts
It better be pristine for 1100 bucks. That price is pretty high. If you're looking to spend that much on a vintage bike, you're going to get the cream of the crop. You should expect near perfection for 1100 dollars. Also, remember that a CL360 and a CB360 are different bikes. I personally like the CLs more.

If you can get some pictures, hook us up and let us look at it! People really like pictures around here :p

Also, I don't know how hard it is to get a restore title for a bike, but I wouldn't ever buy a bike that doesn't have a title. They can be hell to register, from what I've heard.

Get some pictures if you can, or go look at it and check the bike over. I would advise you to wait for more opportunities with other bikes before you make a decision, too. For as much as he's asking, I would expect a running, pristine example of a CL360. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I decided against that one on your advice and after speaking to that guy. Not good vibes. But there is another bike that just popped up... URL is here (I can't post links yet) @ h-t-t-p:// lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/1257628569.html

Maybe you could tell me your thoughts. How likely is it that those miles really are original??

Thanks again!

Jordan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any specific recommendations that are easy to work on? I just missed out on a 2001 Buell Blast with 4200 miles for $1800! That looked really good!

·
Registered
97 Posts
All vintage bikes are relatively easy to work on. SOME parts are hard to find, yes, but most can be easily purchased from a multitude of websites . . .and to be honest a bike with 3600 original miles isn't going to need any parts for a while provided you don't crash it.

I really wouldn't pay over $1000 for a 70s bike. I bought my 76 Suzuki for $300 bucks 2 months ago not running, and is now a daily driver that starts on the first kick every time. I believe that if you really want a vintage bike, you should buy one on discount and fix it up. That's what riding vintage is all about, at least to me.

If you're looking to spend $1,200-$1,300 on a bike, just get something newer. That bike you posted is really nice, don't get me wrong. It's probably very reliable and it will ride like a dream and you'll love it. That much money for a 30 something year old bike is a lot, though. Riding vintage is about doing things yourself and having a lot of fun for not very much money. If you want to spend more money, you deserve the nice things that come with a newer bike.

Sum it all up: Keep your eyes peeled for a better deal. Wait for a bike where you're like, wow this is definitely worth the money. One will pop up. Keep posting what you find here. I would also offer that guy $950 for that bike, and see how he responds. If you can get him to drop the price to right under $1000 or so, then I say that is pretty fair and you should buy it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I can second PipeDreams recommendation and patience is the key. Keep looking around and you're bound to come across a deal sooner or later.

I recently tripped over an '83 Honda Nighthawk 650 that was in good shape. Bought it for under $400 and spent a few dollars to make it road worthy and it's all good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts