Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a "first bike" thread elsewhere on the forum. Not sure how many old guys there are here, but reading through that thread I was thinking,"My first bike was already a museum piece when these guys got their first bike!"

My best friend when I was a kid had an older brother in the Army stationed in Germany. When he came home, he had a bike that he bought overseas shipped home..... a Zundapp 50. He bought a Triumph once he got home, and donated the Zundapp to his little brother. Neither of us was of legal age at the time, but living in a small town, we could get away with a lot. We terrorized the town for a couple years until I was old enough to legally ride. Working as a bagger at the local grocery store, I had saved all my pennies and in 1962, I bought a brand new Yamaha YDS2.
zundapp_forsak_002.jpg
YDS20001..JPG

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,581 Posts
CB160 brand new in 64, looked a lot like this one without the rust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For my 10th birthday I got an old Indian dirtbike, looked sorta like this but red.
I had a 125 Yamaha about 14, and a Puch moped at 15 (you only needed a permit to ride on the street) at 16 I got the Yamaha L5 enduro which I had until I was 21. Sold it to my uncle for $100.00.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
My first real bike was a Yamaha 100 very much like these. I had mini bikes before that 100. The problem came in that I was riding off road in those days and the rear (right) brake lever when pressed would go low and ALWAYS hit a rock then break off. (literally (pun intended) as well as the part would go) But it was a fun bike until the cylinder froze up and I traded it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
In 1980, for $450, I bought a 2nd hand 1969 Honda CB450. It was a bit tired cosmetically, and had already been repainted once with a rattle can, but still had a lot of life in it. I went through it as well as a college kid with very few tools could, swapped the front sprocket down a couple teeth and rode it all around the country, coast to coast, when I graduated in spring of '81

45 hp, 450lbs, 5 speed trans, Drum brakes front and rear.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I started riding late in life, at age 29. Up until then I'd ridden a mini bike once or twice as a teenager. On a whim I bought my brother-in-law's Suzuki GS550 and taught myself how to ride it. It looked like this, except it had a metallic brown paint job and no pin stripes.

It was quick and nimble, about 45 HP. A great beginner's bike but also one that you don't quickly outgrow.

·
On The Road Again!
3,152 Posts
My first bike, in the summer of 1968, was a 1964 Honda C200, a 90cc pushrod single.
Bought it and taught myself to ride it, then passed it on to my brothers who both learned to ride on it.
It was EXACTLY like this one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first bike as a brand new 1965 Yamaha YJ1. Yeah,I'm an old guy .I bought another one to restore just like my original one a year or two back . Here is a photo of it. The second one came 9 months later, a 66 Yamaha Twin Jet 100 ,and the third one came along in 68 ,it was a 65 Yamaha yds3 that I rode across the country on in 1969 back when you could get two stroke oil at every gas station in America ! I still ride the yds3 and lots of other old two strokes I have but I travel on either a 1975 Moto Guzzi 850-t or a 1988 BMW K100RS

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts