Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into getting my first real bike, ive had a Honda 70R dirtbike and i want a real bike, i dont know much about them but id like a standard bike, im 19 and 5'11 i want something powerful enough to go on the freeway but i dont want something too over powering where im not going to be comfortable riding. I also dont want to break the bank and keep it around $2,000-$5,000

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Im looking into getting my first real bike, ive had a Honda 70R dirtbike and i want a real bike, i dont know much about them but id like a standard bike, im 19 and 5'11 i want something powerful enough to go on the freeway but i dont want something too over powering where im not going to be comfortable riding. I also dont want to break the bank and keep it around $2,000-$5,000

Thanks for any suggestions
Welcome!!! If you haven't already done so, I suggest you take a motorcycle safety course. You will learn a lot in a couple days, and get some ideas of what you do and don't like. At your height you should be able to ride most any bike.

What do you see yourself doing with a motorcycle down the road? If you like sport bikes, a Ninja 250 or 500 are good choices to start with. They have the look and feel you are looking for, but sit a bit more upright and don't have nearly as much power. Maybe you like cruisers? There are a lot of smaller cruisers that are good bikes to start on. If you like the dirt side, a dual sport is a good starter. I would consider your long term riding goal and then buy a bike that points you in that direction.

And I always suggest buying used for your first bike. Maybe few years old, something that has already depreciated but is still fairly new and in good running condition. You don't want to go lay down $9000 for a new bike and then dump it because you are new and those things happen. Better to dump a $2500 bike that you can still sell for $1800 a year later right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts