Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New rider here. Just signed up for my BRC and will be taking it next week. I plan on purchasing my gear very shortly as well. As for a bike I'm mainly looking for something sporty. I've been researching bikes for a couple of weeks and what seems to keep turning up as a great sporty starter bike is the Ninja 250, which is what I have my mind set on for now, and maybe the CBR250. I'd like a 250 mainly for the insurance cost, as I don't want to pay anything outrageous. However, I'm concerned about the lack of power. I will be doing some highway riding (commuting back and fourth from school/work, etc). It seems that many people say the power is adequate enough to handle highway speeds. Within the last couple of days dual purpose bikes/supermotos have sparked my interest. I still would like something somewhat sporty looking. My budget would also be somewhere around the $2k mark. What are some good bikes that fall in this category for about that price, used of course. Are they adequate enough to handle the highway? I may consider going up in CC's but I don't want to go too high, as I'm only 19 and will be paying for the bike and insurance myself in addition to my car insurance. Any help here?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
A 250 can cruise all day at maybe 60 or more MPH if you an stand the high RPM sound. I am an experienced rider on a touring bike that lopes along at 2500 to 3000 RPM but that little 250 will be over 6000 on the highway. If you don't spend too much time at those speeds it will do just fine for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.
A 250 can cruise all day at maybe 60 or more MPH if you an stand the high RPM sound. I am an experienced rider on a touring bike that lopes along at 2500 to 3000 RPM but that little 250 will be over 6000 on the highway. If you don't spend too much time at those speeds it will do just fine for you.
I appreciate the warm welcome! Thanks for your input. I'm sure as long as it can handle highway speeds I'd be completely ok with the sound.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Welcome from Seattle :)

A lot depends on how big you are. The smaller the bike, the more that matters. For the average rider who is under 200 pounds, then a 250 Ninja is a really nice platform to start on. It is light, easy to ride, and forgiving. I think it will do about 90 mph with a smaller rider, so unless you are a big guy it will probably serve you well. I am 6'2" and about 240, so l didn't consider it, but l did look at an ex500, which is its big brother, and that would be a good starter as well. Both have a nice seating position that is fairly upright and allows you to get comfortable in the cockpit.

Another bike in your price range to consider is a Suzuki GS500. Pretty much Suzuki's equivalent of a naked Ninja 500. I wouldn't bother with a CBR250 or 300; they are too new and too expensive. Your first bike should be reliable and everything should be in working order, but it is best not to buy a beautiful bike to start with. You will almost certainly put it down a time or two, even if it is just tipping it over in your driveway. We all did it. This is your first bike, not your last.

Do you have any riding experience, dirt bikes, quads, scooters, minibikes when you were younger?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from Seattle :)

A lot depends on how big you are. The smaller the bike, the more that matters. For the average rider who is under 200 pounds, then a 250 Ninja is a really nice platform to start on. It is light, easy to ride, and forgiving. I think it will do about 90 mph with a smaller rider, so unless you are a big guy it will probably serve you well. I am 6'2" and about 240, so l didn't consider it, but l did look at an ex500, which is its big brother, and that would be a good starter as well. Both have a nice seating position that is fairly upright and allows you to get comfortable in the cockpit.

Another bike in your price range to consider is a Suzuki GS500. Pretty much Suzuki's equivalent of a naked Ninja 500. I wouldn't bother with a CBR250 or 300; they are too new and too expensive. Your first bike should be reliable and everything should be in working order, but it is best not to buy a beautiful bike to start with. You will almost certainly put it down a time or two, even if it is just tipping it over in your driveway. We all did it. This is your first bike, not your last.

Do you have any riding experience, dirt bikes, quads, scooters, minibikes when you were younger?
Thanks! As for my size I'm about 5'10'' and about 180-190 lbs. I'll definitely take a look into those 2 recommendations. As for experience I have very little, the closest thing that I've ridden to a bike is a moped, and that was only for a couple of hours. Besides that just a very small pit bike. This is why I'm wary of getting anything too large; my lack of experience is something that's holding me back from a couple of different options.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Going along with what Hawk said the GS500 would be a good choice. My wife rides one (don't worry, its not a girly bike) the "E" models are pretty easy to find for under $2000 sometimes even down to $1200 but don't have any fairing. Consider your extra $800 spent one fixing a few things. The "F" model are a little more, most run $2000 to $2500 in my area. They do have a nice fairing but the wind screen is crap so I got a touring wind screen ($100 bucks). The bike is very manageable and can do 80-90 mph all day. Great bike for the highway!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going along with what Hawk said the GS500 would be a good choice. My wife rides one (don't worry, its not a girly bike) the "E" models are pretty easy to find for under $2000 sometimes even down to $1200 but don't have any fairing. Consider your extra $800 spent one fixing a few things. The "F" model are a little more, most run $2000 to $2500 in my area. They do have a nice fairing but the wind screen is crap so I got a touring wind screen ($100 bucks). The bike is very manageable and can do 80-90 mph all day. Great bike for the highway!
I didn't know they made two versions. I looked them up and I definitely like the F model so far, I'll have to do a little more research on it and compare it to the ninja. Thanks for the recommendation for sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts