Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gosh I remeber growing up and my favorite bike was a yamaha I don't know what it was but just loved the bike, ever model that came out it just caught my eye. Now I'm 19 and thinking on getting a my first ever motorcycle. I've never worked a clutch or ever owned a dirt bike or anything. im around 5'6 and weight around 130. But the reason I ask this question is because I have been looking at reviews of motorcycles and every 250 or 300cc bike review I've ever seen they say "the bike will bore you in 3 months". But it is my first ever bike. I know the yamaha 300r is coming out in feb and I love the looks of it but I don't really wanna waste money and get bored of it. I found a 07 yamaha r6 in my area used for $1900 the bike has some attaches on it but even dropped claimed the owner. a 1r is compleatly out the picture I really don't feel the need for one and I don't think I ever will. Just want something to toy around on, on the weekends.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
This question gets asked here about once a week.

No, a 250 or 300 bike is not "too small" for you and no you will not "outgrow" it in a couple of months.

20 years ago a 175 was considered a "big bike' and a 500 a monster.

As someone who rides a 1400cc sport/touring bike, I've considered moving back DOWN to a 250cc to improve my riding skills.

If you spent every weekend at the track and took innumerable riding classes, indeed, in six months your SKILL level might be where you'd want a 600cc bike.

Problem today is everybody is too godD8mn impatient. You have to be a novice rider awhile, simply buying a bigger faster bike doesn't make you a better rider. What it WILL do is intimidate you when you realize you ain't got the skills you need to ride it safely and ..enjoyably.

Or it will KILL you. Want pictures of testosterone-laden noobs who died racing 600cc and liter bikes on public roadways?

Buy a 250 Rebel, Ninja, or 300Ninja or R3 and ENJOY being a noob for awhile instead of pining for the day you can scrape elbows on The Snake on an R6.

CAN I GET SOME "AMENS" from the inmates?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
If there is truly a concern about getting bored with riding, maybe a different hobby would be a better use of your time and money.

I've never met a committed or long term rider who says that they are bored on two wheels.

The only people I have heard with concerns about boredom are:

1) People who don't ride and have never ridden.
2) People who have a lot less experience than they pretend to.

·
Premium Member
7,608 Posts
R6

IMO an R6 is not a good bike for a new rider. Especially to toy around town on.
The engine needs to be kept at ridiculous revs for the bike to proceed. They were designed for the 600 class at the track for much more experienced riders.

Good that you are reading the articles in the bike magazines. The test riders are graduates of the stroker set.

I ride an XS400 in the winter, and never get bored. Getting bored with a task is a problem of youth. However things have a way of changing.
This is a quote from an XS400 rider. " I might be a noob, but at least I was smart enough to not start with an R6"
You need to learn to ride first, and the best place to do that is in the dirt.

The R6 is not a good bike for an experienced rider to toy around town on. There has to be a different programme running ( see stroker above ) to think it is.
Best around town bikes I ever rode. An old BMW 500 with Earls forks. A 400 four Honda. Neither made much power, and the BMW handled awful in corners.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This question gets asked here about once a week.

No, a 250 or 300 bike is not "too small" for you and no you will not "outgrow" it in a couple of months.

20 years ago a 175 was considered a "big bike' and a 500 a monster.

As someone who rides a 1400cc sport/touring bike, I've considered moving back DOWN to a 250cc to improve my riding skills.

If you spent every weekend at the track and took innumerable riding classes, indeed, in six months your SKILL level might be where you'd want a 600cc bike.

Problem today is everybody is too godD8mn impatient. You have to be a novice rider awhile, simply buying a bigger faster bike doesn't make you a better rider. What it WILL do is intimidate you when you realize you ain't got the skills you need to ride it safely and ..enjoyably.

Or it will KILL you. Want pictures of testosterone-laden noobs who died racing 600cc and liter bikes on public roadways?

Buy a 250 Rebel, Ninja, or 300Ninja or R3 and ENJOY being a noob for awhile instead of pining for the day you can scrape elbows on The Snake on an R6.

CAN I GET SOME "AMENS" from the inmates?
That's what I was scared of. I'm not really looking for speed just something I can just have fun on. If I got a R3 I think I'd have a lot of fun on it. But a lot of the reviews on youtube say about 250 and 300 will bore you and I guess that is what I was scared of. But I see where you are coming from lol. I wanna be safe As possible and plan on taking some safety courses. I sat on some bike and the cbr250 was super comfy. My friend has that one.

·
Premium Member
7,608 Posts
That's what I was scared of. I'm not really looking for speed just something I can just have fun on. If I got a R3 I think I'd have a lot of fun on it. But a lot of the reviews on youtube say about 250 and 300 will bore you and I guess that is what I was scared of. But I see where you are coming from lol. I wanna be safe As possible and plan on taking some safety courses. I sat on some bike and the cbr250 was super comfy. My friend has that one.
" I wanna be save as possible and plan on taking some safety courses "
Wonderful, that makes sense to me.
An R6 will not help you. A CBR250 will help you.
The reviews are from straight line riders with a few wiggles thrown in.
That is not what it is all about.
Another goal to strive for. " I want to ride for 50 years and still walk straight like Unkle Crusty*.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1 Posts
If i am used to clutches should i get a r6 for a first bike or no i even drive my friends r3 all the time but idk if i should get a r6 for first bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If i am used to clutches should i get a r6 for a first bike or no i even drive my friends r3 all the time but idk if i should get a r6 for first bike.
As first bike I don't recommend the R6. My husband says it's better to learn to ride a slower bike fast then to learn to ride a fast bike slow.

I have an R3 and did the throttle tube modification (which you can find all over Youtube on how to do) which gave me a much better throttle response to open her up faster without cranking my wrist. I've had mine for about two years now and I still love it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts