Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the forums and also to the world of motorcycles. I just acquired an all original 1971 CL100. 2200 miles and even the original tires on it. Tag expired in 1978 and its been sitting either in a storage shed or under a tarp behind my grandparents house for most of the last 35 years. I'll Post a few pics in a minute.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 1971 cl100 as well I have been restoring over the years I will try to help you out the best I can if you have any questions. They are fun and easy to work on easy to find parts as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1971 cl100 as well I have been restoring over the years I will try to help you out the best I can if you have any questions. They are fun and easy to work on easy to find parts as well.
Thanks! I apparently can't post images yet due to post count but I will soon! I drained the oil out today because it smelled like gas. I wasn't getting any spark and found that the magneto was full of oil. Now I have spark but it still wont start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the the same problem there are a lot of different things it could be. The battery could be the slightest bit low I have the problem of not kicking hard enough it could be multiple different things.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Y'all can just keep posting back and forth and be there in no time.:thumbsup: I've done just two word posts to make a full sentence on other forums for that very reason. It's just there to keep "bots" and spammers out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks hogcowboy. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it would be a mistake to print the bike since it's all original. I don't want to hurt the value and I know some people out there are anal about that sort of thing

·
Registered
121 Posts
I drained the oil out today because it smelled like gas. I wasn't getting any spark and found that the magneto was full of oil. Now I have spark but it still wont start.
Hi jwhistl, that sounds like a wonderful find you have, it's rare to find a bike that old with such low mileage and in good condition. If you don't have a shop manual, you can download a free scan of the genuine Honda manual here:
http://www.dotheton.com/downloads/Honda%20CB100%20CB125%20CL100%20SL100%20CD125%20SL125%20Workshop.pdf

The alternator rotor and stator coils are inside the crankcase so they do run in oil, that is normal. The bike has battery ignition and the battery MUST be in good condition and charged to have spark. The alternator can create enough charging current to produce spark even with a weak battery if kicked over fast enough. But these bikes do not have a voltage regulator. Instead the battery acts to control the charging current. And if the battery has cells shorted with sulfation and the bike does start the charging current will be extremely high which can burn out light bulbs, fry the rectifier, and damage the coil. So step one is to make sure the battery will charge up to 6.5 volts and maintain 6+ volts while sitting overnight.

After that, set points gap and timing, then check into the carburetor. If it was stored with old gas in the tank and carb then you will need to thoroughly clean all passageways in the carb, check float level, clean out the petcock and filter bowl, and make sure the tank is clean and free of rust or crud.

Oh, and you will find an excellent checklist/discussion of carburetor cleaning at the link below. Scroll down the the next to last post by user "Rizingson."
http://www.vjmog.com/ftopict-10204-k15.html

Let us know if you need further help,

-Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just looked up my vin and I guess I have a cb100 not a cl100. I downloaded the manual but I wouldn't mind having a paper version for quicker reference

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK well the thing is with the cl and cb is the exhaust pipe. On cl100s they are higher up on cb100s they come down below the foot peg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see. My exhaust follows the lower part of the frame under the rear foot peg. I pick up my sand blasted tank tomorrow! Looking foward to seeing how that came out

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Nice looking bike.

and

1 - 20 of 27 Posts