Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys think, is it ok to buy a brand new bike as your first? I'd really want to get a Ninja 300 or Yamaha R3 next year, but I am terrified at the thought of dropping it. :(

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I would go used for your first bike. It's your first bike, not your last. You can always upgrade to new later on. There is a strong possibility that you may drop it. How mad or upset would you be if you dropped the bike within the first week? A used bike the ouch of a dinged gas tank won't be as painful.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Issues with a SH bike are still worth considering:

- finding a reliable service
- most likely you'll have to change tires, brake pads right away
- it may have some hidden problems (as a beginner you can easily go wrong with this...)
- usually no warranty

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It is common for a new rider not to keep their first motorcycle for very long. It's often a season or two, depending on how much riding they get done.

The reasons for this are varied, but they fall into two basic categories:

1) They lose interest in riding.
2) They find another motorcycle works better for the kind of riding they like to do.

Buying new is fine if the buyer is prepared to take the financial hit on depreciation. Don't expect to resell for anything near what it cost to buy new even a few months later. An easy third of the sale value can drop off rather quickly.

Buying used has the advantage of letting someone else eat the depreciation.

I recommend buying lightly used for the new rider who isn't experienced with motorcycle mechanics. There are many who think they are getting a deal buying an old motorcycle, only to find the cost to get them roadworthy exceeds their value, and even may cost more than buying a newer, lightly used motorcycle.

There are advantages to buying new, such as the mentioned warranty and the piece of mind that someone else hasn't already screwed it up. Just realize those things come at a premium price.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I bought new for my first bike, a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50...cost $8200 I rode it for 4 years, put 13K miles on it....traded it in on another '08....but a bigger one (Yamaha Road Star 1700) I know trade in is worth less than you can get selling outright, but the dealer had the bike I wanted....trade in price $3500...local selling prices (at the same time) for that model and year...$4800-$5500.....I wasn't too worried about dropping it, I knew that if I did...it was my mistake and there wasn't a lot I could do about that.....I never did drop it though (I think I got lucky, because a few times I came close shortly after I got it)

Like Dods said, there are advantages to buying new, if you can afford it....buying used can be just as good...first bike or not, if you know what to look for or have someone you trust look at ie

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I've been riding for almost 50 years, I have had a lot of bikes. I think I have only had two brand new ones in my life that I can remember.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can great prices on lightly-used small bikes. For some reason, Americans tend to think 'bigger is better' and give away their bikes they bought new. I ride a Honda Rebel I got with 800 miles for $1K. It's been very reliable and great fun. Put your money into good safety gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You can great prices on lightly-used small bikes. For some reason, Americans tend to think 'bigger is better' and give away their bikes they bought new. I ride a Honda Rebel I got with 800 miles for $1K. It's been very reliable and great fun. Put your money into good safety gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lt isn't necessarily that bigger is better, but a lot of people who get into motorcycling do it with the intention on touring, and this is really difficult to do with a beginner bike. Not many people are satisfied with a bike that struggles at highway speeds and has difficulty on windy days. You can ride fro Seattle to New York on a 250, but would you really want to?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
IMO a used bike is always a better buy for a new rider. All new riders are bound to drop a bike sooner or later. Do you want to do that with a new bike? If you drop a used bike, chances are the previous owner did the same darned thing. Any drop in value from that bike drop is already going to be a part of what you pay for a used bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are 2 types of riders. Those who have dropped their bike and those who lie. :biggrin:

Motorcycles are built to last a long time. Buying used is fine as long as it hasn't sat in a garage for several years. As an example, I would buy a 2004 model with 30,000 miles before I would buy a 2004 with 5,000 miles unless the guy could prove that the fuel was stabilized and the oil was fresh at the end of each year. A smell test of the gas tank will tell you a lot as well as a look at the dipstick. If there is any white or milky look to the oil, pass on the bike.:71baldboy:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I would go used for your first bike. It's your first bike, not your last. You can always upgrade to new later on. There is a strong possibility that you may drop it. How mad or upset would you be if you dropped the bike within the first week? A used bike the ouch of a dinged gas tank won't be as painful.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
I agree with Zippy!!;)
Buy a used bike and try to not overobligate financially ( Spend too much money) on it, that way after you have gotten some experience....you can sell or trade it for a nicer/newer bike and not lose a lot of money! And if it is used and has gotten a scratch or 2.in the interim..as she says it wont bother you quite as much!
Regards
Ed

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Same as your first car... go used 100%. Another advantage aside from the fact that you don't want to invest in a bike you'll likely scrape up a bit as you learn is that you won't be as scared to mess around with your bike as you would a brand new one. I got my bike from my brother dirt cheap and while I'm scared I might break something, I ask questions and try out stuff (changing the oil, clutch, adding mods etc...) whereas I probably wouldn't touch any of that stuff if this was a new bike under warranty.

And as someone just mentioned, which is 100% true, if the bike already has some rough spots or some rubbed paint, it won't be as painful if you add a few more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought used 2014 ninja 300 for 3500, dealer threw in free gear of my choice( $500 shoei helmet, $300 leather jacket, and $100 gloves?) And free delivery . .. out the door cost was 5k and change. I sat and looked a couple of 250s.. at the end of the day I'm happy with my purchase... I'm two days into riding, parking lot time and some side street time.

·
Very Famous Person
9,809 Posts
I bought used 2014 ninja 300 for 3500, dealer threw in free gear of my choice( $500 shoei helmet, $300 leather jacket, and $100 gloves?) And free delivery . .. out the door cost was 5k and change. I sat and looked a couple of 250s.. at the end of the day I'm happy with my purchase... I'm two days into riding, parking lot time and some side street time.
--

So that's $1,500. for your free gear? :frown:

--

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
I think what he means is the sticker price was 5k and he got it for $3500 with free gear.

Or I could be off my rocker, which is likely.
Nope...don't think so. Or at least that's not what he said. His wording said out the door for 5K.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts