Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! It’s finally time get my first bike soon I have done lots of research and I want to get a Indian Chief Dark Horse. I have had experience with bikes such as dirt bikes and family members bikes (down the road and back by myself) at 6’4 275 and recently finishing up college football I think I’m definitely big and strong enough to handle the bike I just don’t want to jump the gun and go to big to fast but I also don’t want to buy a sportsters or smaller bike that I will outgrow by the end of the year. What do you guys suggest? Go for it or wait?

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Are you saying you have a year or more on other bikes? That's on average about 5,000+ miles. If so and you feel you are ready to move up, go for it. But strength has zero bearing on ability to handle bigger bikes unless you intend to lay them down all the time. At over 6 foot tall most smaller bikes would feel cramped to say the least. But there are a very small group of bikes that you could learn on and the wise thing is to learn first on one of those bikes by buying a used one then move up. The Dark Horse though is no hot rod bike though, so if you have control over your throttle in those emergency type scenarios you may be okay. Just don't use strength as your guiding factor. It's about maturity and miles travelled more than anything else. No one here wants to see anyone get hurt so we generally suggest start small and move up. But only you know your true skill level.
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

·
Visionary
2,987 Posts
My wife rides a Chieftain, very similar to the Chief your interested in. It's a great bike and very well balanced, it's easy for a somewhat experienced rider to handle but it would be a beast for a novice to learn on. Assess your skills honestly, can you ride whatever bike you've been riding slowly in full control, make a slow u turn or couple of figure 8s in a parking lot in good control, without dragging your feet or waddling along?

If you say yes then you'll be fine, if not you might want to buy a bike to learn on first before beating up that new Indian.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,646 Posts
Welcome and wait before you buy a big heavy bike. You may be fine but chances are something will happen and you will drop it. Start smaller and once you have honed your skills get your dream bike.

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
And remember, it's not our money, pride or health at risk with our suggestions.
You have the right to do whatever you want but think long and hard as mike721
suggests.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree with Critter. For first time rider, buy a good used bike, buy off season, ride "free" for a year and a half, then sell at the start of peak riding season and use your profit to help finance the 2nd bike.

A lot of beginner accidents are of the type - "stumbled pushing the bike in the garage & dropped it on the lawnmower", or "waved to my buddy while waiting at the stop light with my CLUTCH hand and went into the ditch". Nobody wants to see you scratch up that brand new, expensive machine, but even more, nobody wants to see you injured trying to save your beloved new bike with your body.

A friend of mine bought an Indian and loves it. But he rode a year on a Maxim first, then sold it for what he paid for it.

Have you ruled out machines from the Japanese makers?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm an inch shorter and a few pounds lighter and on a 82 400cc and it's done me fine so far. It's light enough that I don't worry too much about dropping it while pushing it around. However, I've got an oak that drops ball bearings all over my driveway so hopefully I can keep it that way. Plus it was cheap enough that I probably won't sell it when I go to get another bike. Haven't had it on the interstate but have had on other 60mph highways and I didn't get blown around too much by the semis. If you can afford it, get whatever you want. Either way you'll have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts