Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I will be getting my motorcycle license by the end of May and have been just browsing online for the best starter sport bikes. Just want to know your thoughts on getting a new or used bike, 300cc or 600cc. So I will be mainly just commuting to school and back, and pleasure riding. I was wondering your thoughts on which is the best sport bikes out there. I am looking at a few 300cc bikes. Yamaha R3 and the KTM RC390. Now I am 5'11" and weight around 210lbs. Which bike would be better for me? Also wondering if y'all would suggest getting 600cc as first bike? The bikes I was looking at in 600cc were the GXSR-600 and the CBR600. Thoughts? If I get a 300cc, I would definitely buy new, but 600cc I would buy used. Would appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I would recommend a single or twin cylinder for a first motorcycle. The 600cc class have 4 cylinder engines. There are other options that fit beyond the 300cc, such as the 650 twin cylinder models.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
How far is your "commute?" What type of roads will you take to get there and back? Both of those factors are not critical to what bike you buy, but for example, if you are doing "highways" to get there and back, you might appreciate a bike with a stronger motor (like the 600) to help you navigate more easily. A "300" will do it ok, but a 600 gives you a bit more.

"New" vs "used" just depends on the bike(s) you are considering. There are good deals to be found in both worlds.
It has a lot to do with what you can afford, and the overall dependability of the bike you choose.

What you do with the bike in your "spare" time is part of the discussion as well. Are you going to be doing any "off road" riding, or mainly "street" riding?

Don't neglect proper gear for your protection please. Make sure you are wearing a helmet and the RIGHT kind of "body armor (if you will) including footwear.

-Soupy

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thoughts?
I would say take the class before taking seriously which bike you're going to buy. Your perceptions are likely to change, perhaps significantly, after taking the class. Before I took the class those 250cc bikes seemed tiny, but after taking the class, I decided that a smaller bike was a better fit for me, so I bought the same TU250x we used in class. A smaller bike is lighter and nimble, more forgiving of the mistakes that inevitably happen. After I took the class, I wasn't very confident as it was my first time on a bike, so a smaller bike was a better fit for me.

That's not to say everyone has to start on a smaller bike, some have the confidence to go with a larger first bike. You'll be able to assess your confidence level when you're in class.

What kind of riding you do will likely impact your decision as noted. My TU250x is happy to do 60MPH down the highway, but probably not the right tool for all but short jobs on the freeway, at least at my present skill level. There are some smaller bikes that pack a punch too, but are smaller in size. The Ninja 300 and Duke 390 come to mind. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum. For a first bike, and you definately are going for a sports bike route to learn on, I'd go with the 300.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for y'alls response! Well my commute is not that long, 5-10 miles usually. Mainly I am wanting this for riding in my town, meeting up with friends at their places or restaurants. No off roading really, just street riding. Will definitely look at insurance costs before buying a bike. Thanks for the responses guys. The main bikes I am just looking at right now is the Yamaha R3, not many reviews on Youtube yet. Also looking at KTM RC390. But it'll still be a while before I get them! I am just excited to join the riding community! Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recommend the smaller bike. They just build confidence, and their nimbleness makes for great fun. I've been riding a 250 cc Honda for three years and love it. Planning to buy a Honda CB500X very soon.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Most on here will say start small, me included. Learn to ride on a more forgiving bike of first timer mistakes. And they will happen. Once you are max'ing the little thing, then step up. You want to avoid getting killed that can happen when you panic. Sometimes in a panic situation you might be braking while still giving throttle input. It happens. The smaller less powerful bike "might" save your butt. Learn to ride another day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts