Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 suzuki gs 650, finally got it to run and idle and rode it down the block a few times, the throttle was slightly sticking but would release before i was at a complete stop, went to go back today to go for a ride, the throttle was stuck open the first time i pulled but i was able to retur. The throttle bodies by hand, i was able to open the thottle bodies by hand and they would return to idle no problem it only stuck when using the throttle grip, so i took it apart and wd40s the cable and now it returns, but not all the way and its a choppy return not a fluid motion, sometimes it sticks and some times it doesnt, what could be some solutions?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Sounds like you need to get a cable lubber and give a good dose of oil

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The cable could be crudded up and need a cable lube mentioned above, or it could be binding somewhere. A good visual inspection of the cable should identify anywhere it may be binding. There is also the possibility that it is binding at the grip as well. Sometimes when motorcycles tip over, the handgrip gets shoved up against the right hand control cluster. That may cause the throttle to stick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and inspected the cabled, under the first rubber gaurd the second was exposed and the metal coil was twisted, ordered a new cable hopefully it fixes the problem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts