Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden a motorcycle once before, but I realize thats nothing when it comes to riding experience. I'll be moving to atlanta in about 2 years and I need experience on a bike before I move there. My commutes will be no longer than 15 miles normally and it will be in Atlanta. What types of bikes would be best for riding in the city. The longest I'll ever have to go is around 230 miles which would be a ride home, but that would only be when I really don't want to bring my car or if my brothers want to see my bike. This means that distance will be very occasional. Would you recommend a standard bike, sport bike, or cruiser for that type of urban commuting?

I'm not sure if the bike I buy now will be the same I'll have in 2 years, so right now I think I'm just looking for a beginner bike with the same style. If its a sports bike, I was thinking a Ninja 250, but if it's a cruiser, I was thinking a yamaha v star 650. I was thinking I could handle a 650 cc if its a cruiser being 6 foot 185 lbs. Whats your thoughts on some bikes I may want to consider, and for those who have ridden in the city before, what style of bike would you recommend?

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
Well honestly we need to know what exactly you would like.

Cruisers will be more comfortable than a sports bike on long drives, both will give you the thrill of riding, sports bike will handle better and accelerate faster, but will not be as comfortable.

Are you just looking at this to recreation ride, or as you have been focusing on -- traveling?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well honestly we need to know what exactly you would like.

Cruisers will be more comfortable than a sports bike on long drives, both will give you the thrill of riding, sports bike will handle better and accelerate faster, but will not be as comfortable.

Are you just looking at this to recreation ride, or as you have been focusing on -- traveling?
Thats not always the case, its really up to the individual. I have gone from Texas to Washington State and from Texas to Michigan on my sport bike. The only times I needed to stop was for gas, or to eat when the others did. Made both trips with cruisers and sport bikes. The key is to stretch when you stop for fuel or food. But I was never uncomfortable. And I have a larger frame and weight than the OP.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The summer between the 10th and 11th grade we ran from Seattle, to LA, to New Orleans, to St Paul, to Billings, back to Seattle.

I was on a 650cc Triumph chopper. 35 years later I Did Seattle to SLC and back in 36 hours on a 2000 Triumph 800cc Bonnie that was a full cafe racer.

The up right ride, kick back ride was a much more comfortable for the long haul.

A spork bike should never be one's first bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might want to check out Suzuki's TU250. I commute about 20 miles round trip in Atlanta and have never wanted for more power. I'm 5'9, 170 and it fits me like a glove. I don't think I'd want to take it on any of the big 3 (I75, I85, or I285), but I wouldn't advise any beginner rider (or driver, for that matter) traverse these freeways if they can be avoided (which they can). The 70mpg doesn't suck, either.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
A spork bike should never be one's first bike.
Spork bike? Where would we get that one, KFC? (Sorry, just couldn't resist...)

Seriously, I respectfully disagree with this statement. Aside from the obvious typo that I couldn't ignore, a sportbike is the PERFECT first bike for me. I had the Ninja for about six months when I picked up the V-Star; and I found it very difficult to get used to the handling of the V-Star, even though they were not all that different in weight. For me, having my feet more under me was not only more comfortable, but it gave me the sensation that I had more control over the bike.

Maybe your statement should have read, "A powerful sportbike should never be one's first bike." My mother-in-law's neighbor picked up a sportbike for his girlfriend to learn on - and get this, it was a friggin' HAYABUSA. That's what, one of the most powerful sportbikes out there? For a noob? Needless to say, she had a very hard time learning on it and gave up, but not before she laid it down a few times (did a fair amount of damage to it too).

·
Registered
518 Posts
Have a look at dual sport bikes in the 250 to 500 range. The Suzuki DRZ400SM is a nice bike.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
Ninja 250, 500, Suzuki GS500, SV650.

I'd especially look at the 500 class bikes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 for "check out Suzuki's TU250

You might want to check out Suzuki's TU250. I commute about 20 miles round trip in Atlanta and have never wanted for more power. I'm 5'9, 170 and it fits me like a glove. I don't think I'd want to take it on any of the big 3 (I75, I85, or I285), but I wouldn't advise any beginner rider (or driver, for that matter) traverse these freeways if they can be avoided (which they can). The 70mpg doesn't suck, either.

I'm brand new to MC Forum so I can't post hotlinks yet, but if one were to click on my name, then on "Statistics," and then on "Find all posts by Jim_N," I've posted a few thoughts (for what they're worth) on my TU250 experience.

*No affliliation with Suzuki; just a happy TU owner... who wishes the $300 rebate was available two months ago!
(I just knew it was gonna happen soon after I bought the bike! Grrrrr! lol!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts