Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, its Tyler. I'm looking for my first bike. I've got a bit of experience riding 2- and 4-stroke dirtbikes, but I'm new to the world of road bikes:

About Me:

- 6-ft, 2in
- 170lbs
- Long and lean

Purpose:

I'm going to officer school for the Air Force in September and I don't know where exactly I'll be stationed. But where ever I end up, I'd like to be able to make mid-distance weekend road trips (maybe 300mi max). I travel light, so a lot of storage isn't necessary. Primarily, it will be used to get around the town where I'm at, but I don't want something terribly uncomfortable for distance rides.

Style:

I'm a big fan of the vintage bomber-style cruisers and standards.
I like black, and I like chrome. Somthing simple. Not a fan of colorful bikes or choppers with crazy tall handlebars.

Comfort:

Like I said, realistically this will be an around town bike. But as tall as I am, I don't want to feel cramped for distance rides. Stretching and filling up the tank every 100mi or would be fine.

Safety:

Not looking to race anyone. Preferably something big enough to get me out of a tight spot should a tractor-trailer decide to merge, and a small enough to lane split where legal.

Here's some bikes I've considered. These are all good-looking biked in my opinion:

- Yamaha Star Bolt R-spec
- HD Iron 883
- Suzuki Boulevard C50/M50
- Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster
- HD Dyna Wide Glide.

Please give me your personal opinions which you like best and why. And feel free to suggest others I should be looking at, considering the above points.

P.S. A little bit of a back seat would be nice in case I want to give a pretty lady a ride! ?

· Nightfly
4,737 Posts
I don't consider 6' 2" unusually tall. I'm 6' 2" and ride, or did, a 2004 Sportster that I can easily flat foot. I wouldn't recommend an 883, but it's your choice, I found it just nimble enough for me yet with mods, it was fun to ride.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't consider 6' 2" unusually tall. I'm 6' 2" and ride, or did, a 2004 Sportster that I can easily flat foot. I wouldn't recommend an 883, but it's your choice, I found it just nimble enough for me yet with mods, it was fun to ride.
Yeah, the more I read up on the 883, the more I find people saying they lack power on the freeway. And even though I've read they're light and easy to control, I don't want to be lacking at night on the interstate should I decide to journey back home. Thanks for the tip!

· Registered
782 Posts
My Guzzi has 48HP, which is less than the Sportser, and it'll run down the freeway at 80MPH all day long and were about the same weight. It'll even get up to 90MPH pretty quick in case I need to pass.

If those are the bike you like, go sit on them to see what fits. Fit is very important on a motorcycle.

· Nightfly
4,737 Posts
Yeah, the more I read up on the 883, the more I find people saying they lack power on the freeway. And even though I've read they're light and easy to control, I don't want to be lacking at night on the interstate should I decide to journey back home. Thanks for the tip!
By all means, check out all the bikes that you are attracted to, and some you may not be. My Sportster was a 1200 that I turned into a 1250 with lots of engine mods and other changes. It was always streetable and always a kick to ride. Don't know your plans but I know from experience any engine mods I made were always done using the best quality parts available no matter the cost. Not that money wasn't a concern but if need be, I saved enough to buy what I wanted. It paid off by never having engine problems even at much higher than stock RPM and power output.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Guzzi has 48HP, which is less than the Sportser, and it'll run down the freeway at 80MPH all day long and were about the same weight. It'll even get up to 90MPH pretty quick in case I need to pass.

If those are the bike you like, go sit on them to see what fits. Fit is very important on a motorcycle.
I guess you truly never know about what you read online. I plan to go see what fits, but I have limited dealers near me and may not be able to try them all for size. Hoping to get some insight from experienced riders here. Thanks for the tip.

By all means, check out all the bikes that you are attracted to, and some you may not be. My Sportster was a 1200 that I turned into a 1250 with lots of engine mods and other changes. It was always streetable and always a kick to ride. Don't know your plans but I know from experience any engine mods I made were always done using the best quality parts available no matter the cost. Not that money wasn't a concern but if need be, I saved enough to buy what I wanted. It paid off by never having engine problems even at much higher than stock RPM and power output.
Just curious. What was it about the 1200 that made you want to upgrade to 1250? Was it lacking for certain driving aspects, or did you do it more as a side project for a meaner bike (which is also fine)? And yes, money is not an issue here. I'm not wealthy, but I've saved a lot and don't mind waiting to get what I want. Just looking for some insight from people who've rode these bikes or others I should be considering. I'm hoping to get to saddle some of these bikes in the near future.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Guzzi has 48HP, which is less than the Sportser...
I guess you truly never know about what you read online. I plan to go see what fits, but I have limited dealers near me and may not be able to try them all for size. Hoping to get some insight from experienced riders here. Thanks for the tip.
Reading back my reply: Wasn't implying that you're not an experienced rider, haha. Meant that more matter-of-fact. Maybe I should start a poll for these bikes!

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,684 Posts
Somewhere on this site is a link to the bike ergonomics web site. You can put in your info and the bikes info and it will show you how you fit :)

Motorcycle Ergonomics

· Nightfly
4,737 Posts
Just curious. What was it about the 1200 that made you want to upgrade to 1250? Was it lacking for certain driving aspects, or did you do it more as a side project for a meaner bike (which is also fine)? And yes, money is not an issue here. I'm not wealthy, but I've saved a lot and don't mind waiting to get what I want. Just looking for some insight from people who've rode these bikes or others I should be considering. I'm hoping to get to saddle some of these bikes in the near future.
There wasn't anything about the 1200 I could put in the negative column. It was just me, being a dyed in the wool hot rodder that wanted more power, higher RPM capability, quicker acceleration. I was not intentionally trying to keep up with the big heavy hitting 4 cyl bikes but I did surprise a lot of guys in a quick acceleration contest. I installed the trans gear from the 883 (smaller) which made a difference in the bikes quickness, that coupled with all the engine work made it a very reliable decently quick bike. I never say fast as stock top speed was limited to the mid 120's. Now with the lower gearing and more RPM capability that hasn't changed very much, just the ability to get there quickly has.... Sadly the bike met its demise when a couple lowlife's broke into the garage where it was kept. Long story short, it was recovered but now is a stripped rusted hulk which I can't bear to part with.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There wasn't anything about the 1200 I could put in the negative column. It was just me, being a dyed in the wool hot rodder that wanted more power, higher RPM capability, quicker acceleration. I was not intentionally trying to keep up with the big heavy hitting 4 cyl bikes but I did surprise a lot of guys in a quick acceleration contest. I installed the trans gear from the 883 (smaller) which made a difference in the bikes quickness, that coupled with all the engine work made it a very reliable decently quick bike. I never say fast as stock top speed was limited to the mid 120's. Now with the lower gearing and more RPM capability that hasn't changed very much, just the ability to get there quickly has.... Sadly the bike met its demise when a couple lowlife's broke into the garage where it was kept. Long story short, it was recovered but now is a stripped rusted hulk which I can't bear to part with.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Seems some folk can't keep there hands off another man's treasure. Good to know about the mods though. After a bit more research, I've decided to add the Kawasaki Vulcan to my list. Seems like the Kawasaki Vulcan S and Yamaha Star Bolt R-spec are pretty neck and neck. Of course I won't know anything until I can track down some local dealers and sit on the bikes myself.

· SUPER MODERATOR
10,555 Posts
I suggest a Triumph Scrambler:wink2: I had a new 2010 and even at 6ft-5in and 350 lbs of solid table muscle, it's ergonomics were comfortable. (205 lbs when I was discharged from the Air Force in Nov 1970):surprise:

Lots of the Adventure bikes are very roomy. Aside from my CTX1300D, I have a Suzuki DL650 ABS V-Strom and my long legs fit fine.:grin:

Good luck at the Academy:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suggest a Triumph Scrambler
I had a new 2010 and even at 6ft-5in and 350 lbs of solid table muscle, it's ergonomics were comfortable. (205 lbs when I was discharged from the Air Force in Nov 1970)

Lots of the Adventure bikes are very roomy. Aside from my CTX1300D, I have a Suzuki DL650 ABS V-Strom and my long legs fit fine.

Good luck at the Academy

Sam
Thanks for the tip!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.