Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Sports bike for my first bike, but i'm trying to decide which bike i should get. I want a 2007 Honda CBR600RR. I learn very quickly, I have had my drivers license, but i had my temps for a total year so i could learn more about the road before going out on my own driving, and scored a perfect score on my drivers test. My dad had a 2000-2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750 and i've rode on that before but never actually was able to drive it. My dad started on a 750, and i want to start on a 600, but he wants me to start on a 300, which is fine, i just don't want to get bored on it too soon, and have to sell it. I want your opinions on what you think i should start on, and also, could i/should i buy both a 300CC and a 600CC at the same time and when im ready, i could start on the 600 and keep the 300 for basic commuting? ill be using th sportsbike to go to school/ work/ road-trips to my grandparents that live around 500 miles away

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will also take the MSF Classes hear, and will probably do what i did with my drivers license, and wait a year to get the full endorsement

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'd recommend the 250 or 300 size to learn on. The 600 is a 4 cylinder race replica and likely produces about 3-4 times the horsepower the 750 your dad has. They are twitchy and hard to learn to ride properly on.

Don't worry about getting bored. If you get bored on any motorcycle, riding is probably not for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant about the going slow part, and a 250/300 sounds too tame for me, i rather have something that sounds throaty and if i rev bomb, people will hear me. and what do you think about the buying both at the same time?

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
There are so many more options than just a 300cc sport bike and a 600cc super sport.

If you find yourself not able to take the recommendation of the 300 that most people are going to give you, do yourself a huge favor and look at 650s.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
My '08 Ninja 250 could go 100mph and stay there until it ran out of gas, which at 55mpg would take a long time.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Oh, and before you think you'll just buy a much older 600 and be fine, they've had race power and race ergonomics for the last two decades, so forget that option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Im able to take the suggestion, im just seeing what you guys think i should get, and im thinking about it, but i sat on a 300CC and a 600CC and the 600CC feels more ergonomic for me. and also if im at a red light and theres a bunch of a cars behind me, i want to be able to have that 1st gear torque and able to take off fast

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh and the CBR600RR is one of the very few that i like the design, but i like the look of the 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE, i have enough saved to buy a new one, but since im new i also dont want to drop a brand new bike.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Unless you're sitting next to a Corvette and a Porsche at a red light, the 250/300 class bikes will outscoot the other vehicles off the line.

The Ninja 650, SV650, FZ07, FZ6, etc are all more powered than the 300s, and ergonomically roomier, but also forgiving in their throttle and brakes.

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
600 four

All of the 600 four cylinder bikes are a poor choice for regular riding IMO. Having to keep the revs in the twilight zone gets boring very quick. The V twin 650 Suzuki is a nicer bike to ride.
You need to concentrate on learning to ride. Looking good and sounding good, and pulling away fast from a stop, are not parts of learning to ride.
The distractions of wind, cars, rain and a bunch of other stuff need to be dealt with. Braking ability is critical.

Almost every new young rider that comes to this sight, other than the smart ones, want a 600 four as a beginner bike. It is the wrong bike.
Many countries will not allow you to ride one as a beginner. If kids in the US continue to crash with these kinds of bikes, I foresee the local governments doing the same.

Learn to ride, not show off.

Unkle Crusty* I used to own a 650 Suzuki V twin.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
Be happy your dad wants you to start on a 300. I'm making my son start on a 50cc scooter.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Doesn't matter what you get, with the attitude you are showing, it won't matter for very long unless you mature enough to wise up.

If you want to be fast and reckless, you maybe should consider riding dirt first and then put others in your way if you survive.

Don't forget the proper apparel, tank top, shorts, flip flops, and a full face helmet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Im probably gonna buy a 300CC and a 600CC and practice over and over on the 300, then once i know how the bike handles, then ill start to practice on the 600 while still using the 300 as the main bike until i know how the 600cc reacts with gas, brakes, and clutch, Thanks for the suggestions, Ride Safely Guys and Girls!!!:71baldboy:

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
I like.

If you're worried about getting bored, and you want a bike that's quick, check out an Aprillia RSV4 Factory.
That is what I would like when I grow up.
Smoother engine and faster than my Suzuki.
Teensy problem. Up here if we get caught doing a certain amount over the limit, the bike gets impounded, and it costs a bunch to get it back. Then the insurance costs go up. It is a vicious circle.
I think the limit is 130 kliks which is under 90 mph. If I am a bit over, say 120 in a 90 zone, the grey/silver hair will get me a warning. But a bunch over 130 and I think I am toast. " At your age you aught to know better " or similar kind of speech. I have the recurring bad dream that I will get grounded. Old age talk for lost your ability to ride or drive. I might be able to plead down to riding a Vespa.
But I was hoping for at least another 10 years for that to happen.

Part of this is for the OP to give him an idea of what it is like at the other end of the riding career. At the track I had to put in a few years as a junior, riding a 250 production bike before being able to move up.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Good luck!
You will need it.......... Oh,and check the insurance cost between the bikes. That should be an eye opener.

If I might ask, are you buying the bike with money that you have earned yourself, or is it a gift from father?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts