Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the website! Got the okay from my wife to go ahead and get a bike so I can get a few good years in before we decide to have kids and the whip comes down.

Grew up riding dirtbikes, started on a little xr80, ended on a kx125. I will start off honest and say that I am interested in getting a sport bike. That being said, I appreciate the reason for learning on a smaller bike. I rode my kx100 much longer than I should have given my size but it was fun being able to handle it with ease, especially off-road.

I also road my dad's Nighthawk 750 around the neighborhood a few times. I am currently 5'9 and about 160lbs, so definitely on the smaller side for riding. I looked up that bike curb weight 500lbs and though I was a bit smaller than, that was an uncomfortable amount of weight.

So....my biggest concern is size/weight. I know dirt bikes and street bikes are very different animals, but I feel like my riding experience is enough to handle the learning curve of a powerful bike. I am mostly concerned about having both feet down and handling the weight. My dad's first bike was his last because he bought too big and I don't want to make the same mistake.

Any comments/personal experience from similar sized riders would be greatly appreciated. I know, ultimately, I need to go sit on some bikes. I just am looking for some unbiased opinions before I begin this search.

Thanks to all.:)

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. You're right, you need to go to some dealers and sit on lots of bikes of all sizes, styles, new and used. Pick it up off the kickstand and if you can, move it around a little. You will find one or two that just feel right.

Good Luck to you and have fun with your search.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you want a smaller sport bike the CBR250 and Ninja 300 would seem to be good places to start. I sat on a CB500F, which is a little over 400 pounds I think, there's a CBR500 sport bike too, and that seemed pretty manageable to me. Plus, it's more powerful too.

That's one thing I like about my TU250x. It's very easy to move around. My driveway is sloped and a bit cracked, so backing the TUX into the garage is a lot easier than a heavy bike.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What's your budget? Are you insisting on a new bike, or considering used too?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts