Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy a motorcycle ( used, easier on the wallet) and my budget is $1000-$2000. I'm 16 and am still in HS so I will mainly be using the bike to transport myself to HS and my job. I don't really intend on taking it on the highway but I will be making the occasional 180 mile trip to my uncle's house, so the bike must be capable of going 80-90 mph. I was looking at the Honda Rebel 250 but I've heard from owners that it tops out at around 70-75 mph, and seeing as I'm a big guy (6'2 and 285 lbs) I'll need a bike that I can drive at speeds of 80+ mph . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

*IMPORTANT
I love the body style of the Honda Rebel so it would be great if you could suggest bikes that have the same body style/type.

G

·
The owners are right it tops out between 70-75 MPH. A rebel is a good starter bike but can tell with your post you will be unhappy with it from the get go. With your size and weight and considering that you would be doing some highway riding I would recommend a 750. The Honda Rebel (in my opinion) is NOT a good highway bike. A 750 is much better for the highway.

You could go with something like this CLICKY.

Or this CLICKY.

You may be able to find a used one on Craigslist for what you are willing to pay. But you may be looking at $2000-$2500 for one.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Shop your local dealers and craigslist for small or mid-size cruisers that are used. In my area, dealers have 5-10 year old mid-size bikes just a little above your price range. I suspect the prices would be negotiable so they can move inventory. Tulsa probably has similar deals.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owners are right it tops out between 70-75 MPH. A rebel is a good starter bike but can tell with your post you will be unhappy with it from the get go. With your size and weight and considering that you would be doing some highway riding I would recommend a 750. The Honda Rebel (in my opinion) is NOT a good highway bike. A 750 is much better for the highway.

You could go with something like this

Or this

You may be able to find a used one on Craigslist for what you are willing to pay. But you may be looking at $2000-$2500 for one.

Thanks for the suggestion, I did a quick dealership search and I found a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero (VT750C) for $1,950. Hopefully I'll be able to check it out within the next few days.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This may not be ideal, but since you are on a budget, and were considering a Rebel 250 at one time, you might want to take a look at a used Suzuki Boulevard S40 or S50.

There are some good deals to be had on those, if you can find one in good condition with low miles.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
This may not be ideal, but since you are on a budget, and were considering a Rebel 250 at one time, you might want to take a look at a used Suzuki Boulevard S40 or S50.

There are some good deals to be had on those, if you can find one in good condition with low miles.
Ditto that, l hadn't thought of those.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
What hawk said...big guy..little bigger bike.....you will be fine
..listen to what people tell you...your choice. no bad choice

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
There are no roads with speed limits even close to 85 MPH where you are. If you start your driving career with tons of speeding tickets, you will find driving quite expensive. Have another look at that Rebel and stay out of trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts