Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I'm new at this Forum and I'm just getting my motorbike drivers license.

So I would like to check with the more experienced riders or even the one that just started and can provide me some feedback on which one should I get.
First of all I would like to explain a little bit the situation and why I'm in a big doubt between this 2 Bikes - CBR500R and CBR650F.

Here in Belgium they have 3 different classes of drivers license and they depend on your age / experience.
I'm applying for the Motor License A, the one that allows me to ride with all the bikes, from the small to the big ones.
The lessons are even with a big cc bike (Yamaha MT-07) (12 hours of lessons) and as I 'm a big dude (120kg / 264 pounds - 5,9' / 182cm) I was considering skip the 300 class and go straight for the 500ish+ bikes.

My big doubt is because as I have lessons on a 700 and I'm gonna make the ride test with this MT-07 (I don't know how it is in other countries outside Europe, but here we have 2 tests, one outside the street for technique and right movements and the other one in the street with real traffic).

I have read that the 500R is an awesome bike to start with but as here we have less then $1500 difference between the 500R and the 650F I thought it would be smarter to start on the CBR650F and get more for the money.

What do you guys think? Should I first buy a 500R and after some experience go for a R650F? Or as I learned and started on a 700cc I would be just fine on starting in the R650F?

Many thanks in advance for you all that reply or read this thread :)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The CBR500 is a much better motorcycle to start on of the two. The MT-07 would also be a good motorcycle to start with.

I think you are getting confused about displacement and how an engine makes power. Larger displacement doesn't directly convert to available power. Engine configuration plays a much larger role.

You will notice I said above that both the 500 and the 700 make decent motorcycles to learn on. What these have in common is that they are twin cylinder engines.

What's different with the CBR650? It's an inline four cylinder engine.

The CBR650 likely delivers two to three times the horsepower of the MT-07. It's in a whole different class as far as how forgiving it is for a new rider and how it handles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dods, thank you for the clarification. I thought that inline four engines were softer and smoother than parallel twins. Thats why I thought about the R650F. many thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts