Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

My name is Lucas from the Netherlands, 30 years old and 196 cm tall.
I want to buy my first own bike. I've been riding my father's, sister's and friends bike up till now.
The restoration of my VW Golf mk1 was a moneypit so I wasn't able to save up until now.
I really like the older (late 70's/early 80's) style bikes and would like to own one.
Because of how tall I am a lot of bikes just don't feel right or comfortable after a short while.

I narrowed my search down to 3 types of motorcycles and would like to have some input from you.

The sohc honda CB750F is still relatively small compared to what I would like, so even though it's subjectively less cool to own a DOHC, it might be a good bike for me.
I've been told that the handling is a little less than amazing, so I am wondering what to expect and if a couple of mods can improve this.

The second one would be a Suzuki GS750. I really like the styling of this bike. It appears to be a bit smaller than the DOHC Honda, but I'm told it's a nicer driver.

My dad and sister both own BMW bikes. They are both tall as well (197 and 185cm) and they really like the size of the BMW's. I find these comfortable as well.

All three of these bikes can be bought at a comparable budget here. I would like some input regarding ride quality, maintenance, your opinion on why I should buy one over the other, etc.
If you have a similar bike in mind that is compatible with a tall guy, please let me know.

I will not use is to commute. It will be purely a cruiser that I might take on longer trips for fun. Thanks guys and girls!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Of all the ones you have in mind, I like the BMW's as I've had 5 of them. As tall as you are a GS would probably be comfortable. My 1999 R1100GS was ergonomically perfect and I'm 6ft-5in tall.

Both the Suzuki and Honda are fantastic bikes and very reliable.

Have fun.

Sam:grin:

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Gidday from a small Island in the Salish Sea.

The Suzuki's always seemed to handle a bit better in the early days. That would be my choice.
The Honda's had good reliable motors, so that would be my next choice.
The BMW's are nice bikes, and likely the most comfortable.

UK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it. I welcome all opinions, so if anyone wants to chime in I'll listen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a quite nice GSX750 from 1980. The DOHC GS750 in the USA if I understand correctly.
Is it comparable in size to the older GS750 and is it a normally good bike?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
It was when it was made 40 years ago or so:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I have a 1982 GS850G. It's basically a GS750 with a factory "big bore kit". When dealing with Suzies, the letter at the end of the model name can tell you what sets that bike apart from others. In my case, the 'G' means shaft drive. These hulking beasts have more than enough power for a beginner and so far as I can tell, don't have a whole lot that can go wrong. No ECUs, no ABS, basic wiring, and the engine isn't encased in fairings.

A demerit against the GS is that they will handle like a 40 year old bike. Don't expect to be carving corners at an extreme angle with your sportbike friends and they can be unforgiving to mistakes. Be sure it has crash bars because they weigh A LOT. :)

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
You are hanging on to that bike aren't you Justice!!! ??? :thumbsup:

·
Hero's are Remembered, Legends Never Die
307 Posts
You are hanging on to that bike aren't you Justice!!! ??? :thumbsup:
That's the plan...I got the carburators back on it and had to create a stop block to prevent the center stand from hitting the chain. Since the exhaust is not original the center stand came up too far. I do have a long time friend who has a customer who may still have an original 4 into 4 stock exhaust still in the box that I am trying to get my hands on...

This one only has 14,000 miles on it and with all the work that has been done, I plan to use it for daily driving... Time will tell...

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Once upon a time, motorcycles had spoke wheels, and they were very strong.
Then fancy wheels appeared, made from alloys. Then someone in the US crashed and the wheel shattered. The order of which is debatable. Then the insurance companies said they would not insure bikes with the new wheels, until they were proven strong enough.
The Comstar wheel from Honda, was the first wheel to pass muster, and reappear on a bike.

That is the way I remember it, and it is probably really really hard to prove me wrong. Most of my Google searches tell me about someone's opinion from last week. Finding facts is not easy.

UK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.