Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
im looking for my first bike and so i would come to the experts obviously. But im only 22 and i have a decent job but I cant exactly afford to shell out 10k for a new bike. Im a big BIG fan of Harleys but honestly my riding experience is riding a dirt bike for an hour when i was 17. this leads me to my first question,

do i want a sports bike or a cruiser? can anyone offer pros and cons, obviously i need to try them both but just looking for an idea of what the major differences are. im 6-2 about 190 if that matters.

Also what are good brands? i mean i see kawasaki ninjas all over NYC (my home) so i assume theyre halfway decent bikes, but then on the other scale i like the HD Iron 883 (though a bit above what i want to pay for my first bike) and the Street 750.

Im going for a riding course the end of the month to prep to get my NY license but if anyone can tell me any tips at all i would greatly appreciate it.
simple things, like milage is another i assume im not going to judge them like a car so how many miles would you say is too many miles?

thanks guys, be safe out there.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,502 Posts
Take the course, that will tell you if you want to ride or not. Meanwhile, go to various dealers and sit on various bikes and see what fits you and talks to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, yeah i figured i wont really know what i want until i try it. this is more me being excited than anything else

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
I'd stay away from super sports or anything that weighs over 550 pounds for a first bike. For your size and weight, most twin cylinder 650cc -750cc bikes would probably work for you. Maybe look at something like a Kawasaki Versys 650?

·
Registered
886 Posts
To get into riding you should try a standard or naked bike first to learn in a more upright sitting position. Since you say you have ridden a dirt bike a street/trail would also fit that upright position, a little more relaxed comfortable position like sitting at a dinner table. Find a few you think you are interested in and go to cycle-ergo.com, put in your body size and make/model of bike to see how it may fit you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
either an old street legal enduro, or something 650 or under if you want to go cruiser. 1980's bikes can be had for under a grand on craigslist easily.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would agree with others, your perceptions will likely change significantly after taking the BRC. Before the BRC, I was thinking those 250s look tiny and they are, but they're a good tool for beginners. They're light and nimble, forgiving of the mistakes that will inevitably happen. I like the bike I used for class so much, a TU250x, I bought one. It's not particularly fast, but still fun to ride. If I want to upgrade later, the big bikes will still be there.

One caveat would be the 250s probably aren't the best choice if you want to do the freeway a lot. If you like cruisers, I think a couple good choices that won't break the bank would be the Vulcan 500 or Suzuki S40. The S40 is super light for a 650, under 400 pounds. I'm not sure about NYC, but there's a few dealers around here selling new old stock S40 for $4k. The Vulcan is still a pretty new bike, so you should be able to find one in decent shape, and has plenty of oomph. Those inexpensive 80s bikes look tempting, but if it's under $1k, it's likely to need repairs, which if you don't know how to do it yourself, you'll have to pay someone and that gets expensive. I say take the class and go from there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just from my personal experience- I started out on a Ninja 500. It was a good upright seated position and plenty of power. Just my experience.

You said you live in the city. Think about what style of riding you'll be doing (city, country roads, off-road, etc.). Then go and sit on as many bikes as possible. Most dealerships will not have a problem with that. Just sitting on the bikes will give you a feel of what will fit you, from seat height to handle bar position, etc.

There are plenty of options out there, you'll find a bike that you like in your price range. Just don't let others talk you into a certain bike because "its what they have" its what they're "going to get soon".

As for mileage on used bikes - mileage is a number only. The condition of the bike is what really matters. Find a good bike guy to inspect anything before you buy it. Bikers stick together so you shouldn't have trouble finding someone local to assist you if you're not comfortable enough YET to know what to look for on used bikes. Take your time.

Welcome to the world of bikes and welcome to the forum!

3G

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Type of bike u want sometimes isn't the type bike u need.
U have to think about the type of driving u will be doing...
Cruising down long highways?
Driving around city traffic?
Do ur friends have 600+CC crotch rockets?( ur not sticking with them on a Harley)
Will u be driving on dirt at times?
All the thing u need to think about be4 u decide...

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
Welcome from someone else in NYC.
++ on the BRC. I know of two places in NYC that offer them, and both have some really good teachers.

I got the smallest bike I could find that could handle the highway (07 Vulcan 500) so I could get out of the city. Local roads took a beating over the winter, and have the potholes to prove it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Take the course and check out bikes online to see what style you'd like. Then find a dealership go sit on it and see how it feels. If you dont like the feel, start all over with a diffrent model you like. You will know what you want when you find one that feels right for you. Start out with a something 650cc's or lower until you get the feel of riding in traffic. I use to live in NY so I know how the drivers, traffic, and potholes are. I still have nightmares about the Cross Bronx Expressway...:biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts