Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

So for background, I am a college student about to turn 20. I am 5'11" and 245 lbs. I go to college in NYC but am currently taking a semester off due to some health issues. I never learned how to drive a car because of bad anxiety problems in high school and once I was accepted to a school in the city, it didn't seem to be a pressing issue. Over the past few months, I have fallen in love with motorcycles and became determined to get one. I recently got my permit and my parents are fully supportive of me. The only experience I have on two wheels (aside from riding a bike) is a cheap electric moped I bought to help me commute in the city and work delivery for extra money. As goofy as it sounds, that crap Chinese motor is what made me determined to finally be serious about getting a motorcycle. I absolutely fell in love with zipping around the city and working as a delivery worker as a side hustle. So far as I know, I am the first person in my family to ever take an interest in motorcycles. I also know I'm a bit of a stereotype for my age, since the bikes I truly fell in love with are scramblers and vintage dual sports, in particular the Honda SL350.

My dilemma is this: My dad is a 'big investment low maintenance' kind of guy. He has been steering me away from used and small displacement motorcycles. I have resigned myself for this as he will be the one financing it (I will be keeping up with the monthly payments and intend to pay him back for the bike in its entirety, but I am young with poor credit, so I can't do this on my own.) After a lot of research, we have narrowed it down to two: the 2019 BMW F750GS and the 2019 Triumph Street Scrambler. I personally love the Triumph, but my dad is a big BMW fan. We went into the dealership and got the chance to sit on both bikes for a while, and I was comfortable and liked the riding position on both, though I noticed the weight of the BMW more than the Triumph's. I know that these are large and expensive for a first bike, trust me, it stresses me out too. But I am mature, financially responsible, and would be glad to have a bike I won't outgrow. I do intend to bring it with me back to the city when I return to college as well. Between the two, which do yall think is the best choice for me?

·
American Legion Rider
19,418 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

Hate to say it since I can't face to face with your dad, but I don't think much of him.
But he's your financing unfortunately. It's just a shame he wants to live the life of motorcycling through you basically. Lot's of luck to ya.(y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

Hate to say it since I can't face to face with your dad, but I don't think much of him.
But he's your financing unfortunately. It's just a shame he wants to live the life of motorcycling through you basically. Lot's of luck to ya.(y) (y) (y)
Ah, thanks for the warm welcome! I love Texas, have plenty of family out there.

I see how he could come across like that in how I wrote my post, but he's just overly cautious if anything. I love both bikes and honestly just want to be on two wheels, so I don't mind his direction too much. And so long as I'm really careful while practicing, I think I should be fine.

·
American Legion Rider
19,418 Posts
I see how he could come across like that in how I wrote my post, but he's just overly cautious if anything
Then I retract my statement. Like that can really be done.:) :) :) I think you'll be ok as well given the experience you already have with zipping around traffic as you stated. But be very careful. Bigger bikes are also less forgiving. Keep that right hand/wrist in check.;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL
1,166 Posts
Having owned three Triumphs and one BMW, the BMW will have a better chance of being more reliable. Two of my Triumphs were great, one was problematic. In my riding group over the last 10 years, one of the guys in my group had three Triumphs, all three have had issues, including a blown motor which stranded us in the desert on a long trip. Our groups BMW's have been pretty good overall. As a side note, the Harley's have been perfect for the most part too. BMW also has a better dealership network. All that said, buy what moves you. If you're not excited and totally jazzed, you will never be happy.

While brand new is always fun, there are tons of slightly used bikes available and the savings is substantial. I bought my current 2015
BMW K1600 GTL in June of 2018, still under warranty, for $15,200 with only 1,300 miles. That was at least a $10,000 savings. That's a whole 2nd bike! Keep an eye on Craigslist, Cycletrader, Facebook Market Place etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
The modern Triumphs after 1991, are not the same as the early Triumphs prior to about 1975. Generally the new Triumphs are well liked and reliable. They handle well.
BMW has a good reputation, not completely earned for the earlier bikes. The newer ones have also had a few problems.
Both of the newer models are well built and reliable. They have good warranties if something should go wrong. With no mechanical skill in your family buying new can make sense. There will be depreciation, but if you keep it forever it does not matter. Also check insurance costs.
Be very careful in traffic, and ride defensively. You see a lot more on a bike, and cage drivers have problems with what happens outside there self contained, climate controlled, sound box, communication center, make up parlor.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,988 Posts
How secure will your storage in the city be? Something to think about with a high price bike. Also check and see what insurance will be on each. Good luck with whatever your choice is and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How secure will your storage in the city be? Something to think about with a high price bike. Also check and see what insurance will be on each. Good luck with whatever your choice is and welcome to the forum.
Not totally sure yet, I might be living in one of the outer boroughs in a house potentially with garage space. If not I'd be in Manhattan in an apartment. I'm well aware of the dangers of theft, I'm planning to insure the hell out of the bike, especially for theft, and have heavy-duty locks on it. I've gotten used to chaining up the moped and the areas I am in are relatively theft free and heavily trafficked day and night. My biggest concern is honestly some drunk idiot knocking it over, which is just something bikers in New York will always have to deal with :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Suzuki V Strom 650 would be a great commuter bike. I test rode a 17' Easy to maneuver, plenty of low end grunt to get a jump on traffic, good on the highway and the L twin engine is extremely reliable.

I own a 17' SV650 and it is my go to town and get coffee bike, head to the mountains and ride the twisties and even fun at the occasional track day. Just my two cents.

Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am a born again rider.
I ride a triumph, street twin 900. It’s a great bike. Excellent first bike for me.
Don’t know anything about BMW.

You are lucky your dad is supportive and willing to help. Even so.
Get the bike you like which works for you. Not the bike which works for your dad.

I bought my first bike as a teenager, despite my dad. He offered to give me a car, if I gave up the bike. So I bought a bike.
My dad had a fit, convinced I would end up dead in a ditch.
Took me over a year to save up the money. Forget full insurance, quotes were more than the bike cost.
So basic minimum insurance.

Statistics and my dad were correct less than 6 months I was in a ditch but ok, bike not so much.

This time all the good advice was by a small bike to learn on. For many good reasons.
So what. I have never listened to good advice.

I bought a brand new triumph. It works for me. No I have not dropped it. It is easy to ride.
It’s not to powerful only 55 hp.

It’s 900 next insurance band up from a 750.
Your 20, insurance statistics predict you will probably crash.
Insurance will be expensive.

If I was smarter. I could have bought a very reliable honda kawaski ect which would have been much cheeper.

Do a MSF, course ride a few bikes.
You may find a smaller reasonably priced bike which works for you.

Street twin 10g 2g to insure.

Ninja 400 5g 500 to insure.

The triumph is a nice bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts