Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday I bought a Harley Davidson Street 750. It’s my first bike ever and I bought it because I trained on a Street 500 and liked it so much that I got something slightly more powerful. I feel like it’s going to be fine for a starter bike.

I doubt I’ll be doing any group riding just yet. I can see the Harley Davidson community rolling their eyes already because they’re not used to seeing such small bikes made by H-D. When people think H-D, they think huge, loud bikes. The Street 750 isn’t huge or loud. Anyway, I’ll post some pics of the bike I took today while I was out practicing. This is a really nice bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
American Legion Rider
26,362 Posts
You are the first I've seen or heard that had anything positive to say about the HD Street bikes. I'm glad you like it. All the others I've heard were owners of the standard fare of HD bikes and were just poo poo'ing the Streets without ever once riding one. HD is going to need more like you but hopefully they'll get there. That bike should do you just fine until you decide you want one of the bigger yet bikes. Enjoy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are the first I've seen or heard that had anything positive to say about the HD Street bikes. I'm glad you like it. All the others I've heard were owners of the standard fare of HD bikes and were just poo poo'ing the Streets without ever once riding one. HD is going to need more like you but hopefully they'll get there. That bike should do you just fine until you decide you want one of the bigger yet bikes. Enjoy!
Maybe it's just because I'm new to bikes. At this point, I really don't need anything with a bunch of bells and whistles. It's a small starter bike. It's great for learning and all.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Never having owned a Harley I have no measure of comparison between the advantages of one model over another, but to my way of thinking the Street 750 looks just fine for the role of a relatively light weight, agile street machine with more than adequate power. Can't see a thing wrong with it, certainly not as a starter bike and maybe as one you'll be happy to ride for many years to come. Enjoy!

·
American Legion Rider
26,362 Posts
I'm not sold on the Streets being Harley's truly entry level bike but I suppose it's better by a small amount on price if you compare the two closest in engine size. There is just $700msrp difference between the Street 500 and 750. And here's the difference between the Street 750 and Sportster 883. So to me Harley still needs to get something a little lower yet. But maybe the Street 500 might do it. I'm just not sure.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think it's a sharp looking bike. If you like it who care what someone else thinks? I think the Street is a little lighter than the 883, but if Harley really wants a starter bike, they should come out with something lighter.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I really like that "blacked out" color scheme! Congrats!

Reactions: Porky

·
Nightfly
4,619 Posts
When I stopped riding inline 4 cylinder bikes long ago, and switched to the Harley Sportster 1200 - now 1250 - I was continually ask when am going to "move up" to a big Harley? My answer is why do I want to ride a land yacht? I don't do long distance, I don't carry passengers, I like reasonably light and quick handling with very good acceleration. I love my Sportster, think I"ll keep it..

I would consider a bigger Harley but only if it was worth stripping it down to bare essentials and running the **** out of it... just for fun. But that won't happen. Ride your bike and enjoy what it is. Disregard those who say it's only a starter bike or you need something bigger. Ride what you ride dude, it's all good. To quote Porky, "nice choice."

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Welcome and sweet bike!!

Colour me a fan of the Street series as well. They have just the right mix of retro and modern looks. They almost look like an old Universal Japanese Motorcycle but with American flair. Have fun with it! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
morning, I just mentioned this in another post but noticed it might not be as active as this one so thought i’d put it here as well (hope this does break any rules)...are new riders limited to smaller bikes in other countries? In Australia we could not ride a 750 until off provisional license?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
morning, I just mentioned this in another post but noticed it might not be as active as this one so thought i’d put it here as well (hope this does break any rules)...are new riders limited to smaller bikes in other countries? In Australia we could not ride a 750 until off provisional license?
I don't think there's any such thing in the US. As far as I know, once you have a motorcycle license you can attempt to ride any of them regardless of power.

·
Visionary
5,405 Posts
Looks like a really nice bike to me, and it's a good intermediate size, it should long outlast starter bike status, looks like it would be great as a commuter bike or just about anything else other than serious long distance touring.

Last Saturday I bought a Harley Davidson Street 750. It’s my first bike ever and I bought it because I trained on a Street 500 and liked it so much that I got something slightly more powerful. I feel like it’s going to be fine for a starter bike.

I doubt I’ll be doing any group riding just yet. I can see the Harley Davidson community rolling their eyes already because they’re not used to seeing such small bikes made by H-D. When people think H-D, they think huge, loud bikes. The Street 750 isn’t huge or loud. Anyway, I’ll post some pics of the bike I took today while I was out practicing. This is a really nice bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: BamaGuyRTR

·
Visionary
5,405 Posts
In the USA we have no such limits, people are free to ride the 200hp machine of their choice as their first bike, even on a permit before they have a license...which they may not live to ever see if they don't choose wisely.

Other countries are much wiser about this

·
Registered
617 Posts

Each of the 50 states has its own training/testing requirements for getting a motorcycle license or motorcycle endorsement, and those requirements are more stringent in some states than in others. But to my knowledge, in general most states are like mine when it comes to what kind or size of bike you may ride -- once you have the endorsement it is good for any street-legal motorcycle regardless of engine displacement or weight. Not only that, I got my endorsement over 40 years ago and had not ridden in a good 30 years when I bought my current bikes last summer, and absolutely no examination or re-qualification was required. Pass the written exam and the easy-peasy riding exam and you are good to go, whether on a Grom or a Gold Wing -- for life, as long as you are legally allowed to have a driver's license.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.