Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used 2010 Ninja 250R with 3,200 miles on it. The dealer is asking $3,899 for it. Is that a fair price? or should I ask $3,400?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Not sure where you live, but I've seen brand new 2012 Ninjas recently advertised for $3900 or less, but that's Virginia.

·
Registered
32 Posts
NADA list its value at $3600. Always ask low, I would offer $3000 /$3200. Start low, haggle and see if you can get a deal. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Florida. It's been hard finding a 2009+ ninja on craigslist. There's one on there for $2000 but he hasn't responded. I'm able to get the one at the dealer financed at the beginning of september but I haven't discussed price yet until I have the money. I was thinking about asking $3100 and work from there.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
You can offer whatever you want, it has to start somewhere. Don't be surprised if they turn down a price that has cut theirs by 1/3.

It all has to do with supply and demand. High supply, low demand means low prices. Low supply and high demand means higher prices.

But you will never know unless you start the ball rolling with an offer you can back with a cash down payment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've read some forums about working with a dealer and they said that a lot don't negotiate nor do they let you sit on the bike. Don't know if that's true or not but I'm quite sure the ninja 250r won't be a bad choice after some research.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I wouldn't shop at a dealer that didn't allow sitting on the bike with supervision. How else are you supposed to feel if it is a fit for you?

Test rides I can understand being verboten. People are stupid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's a first for me. What kind of dealer wouldn't allow you to sit on the bike? This is one of the bikes I've been looking at for my first, but I'd like something with just a bit more power since I'm a bigger guy.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I was a mite surprised when I booked a test ride at the Harley dealer and they said "Here are the keys; try to be back before closing time."

Anyway, let us know how it works out, brohammer.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I was a mite surprised when I booked a test ride at the Harley dealer and they said "Here are the keys; try to be back before closing time."

Anyway, let us know how it works out, brohammer.:thumbsup:
Now that's a dealer that's discovered a way to establish customer loyalty.

Plano Kawasaki has always treated me like a dirt-poor criminal, even when I arrive on a perfect, clean, beautiful bike. Add to that that their prices are laughable, and I've just become a Craigslist loyalist. It's good to hear that there are decent dealerships out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a first for me. What kind of dealer wouldn't allow you to sit on the bike? This is one of the bikes I've been looking at for my first, but I'd like something with just a bit more power since I'm a bigger guy.
I haven't gone into the dealer yet. I've been chatting with a sales rep through email. I think the 250R is great for me since I'll be new to riding and I weigh 165lbs.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have never heard of a dealer who wouldn't let a prospective buyer sit on a bike. If they're that miserable before you buy, I shudder to think what they would be like afterwards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't gone into the dealer yet. I've been chatting with a sales rep through email. I think the 250R is great for me since I'll be new to riding and I weigh 165lbs.
Well I weigh about 200 and I'm putting on muscle since I'm training for the military. I'm about 6'2'' as well, and I'd like to eventually carry a passenger. So yeah, maybe a larger bike? lol

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Regarding the price, the dealer may not move from their listed bike price but will usually throw in a deal on gear. They have more room to move on jackets, gloves, boots and helmets so will probably offer you a better price on these accesories.

You are going to buy boots, jacket, gloves and helmet, aren't you?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well I shopped around a little before buying my CBR250R and found that each dealer is different. Some places will have ride-me bikes that are all set up and ready to ride for new customers. Most of the time getting on a bike and wanting to test ride it is out of the question since they are not always set up.

When I bought my bike I also asked around about who would make deals and who would not. I went with new since my bank offered a lower interest on new over used. The prices were not that much different. One dealership seemed annoyed when I sat on the bikes and one would not deal at all. I finally found a dealer that would work with the price I had from my bank. I was able to get a 2012 CBR250R, helmet jacket and gloves, out the door with all taxes, fees and all other add ons for $5500.

Sad thing is one dealer actually had a $250 High demand fee they wanted for the CBR250R. Needless to say I hung up the phone shortly after being told that.

Massey

1 - 19 of 19 Posts