Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to purchase my first bike. I would like something that has a classic style but is not so old that I would have to find rare aftermarket parts. Also, I would like to stick with Suzuki or Honda because of their reliability. I found a 1989 Suzuki gs500e. What do you think the general reliability of this bike would be? Also, suggestions on good classic starter bikes?

·
What?
865 Posts
If you are worried about parts, search the online markets to see what they have.

motorcycle-superstore.com is a good start.
Oldbikebarn.com is another one.

When a bike gets to be that old the availability of aftermarket parts gets lower and lower, for sport bikes I have found anyway. OEM parts are hit and miss but can be found from on-line stores, Ebay, Craigslist, dealers, or salvage yards. Cruiser style bikes seem to have better selection for a reason.

If you can do the work go for it as quite a few shops will not touch a bike older than certain age.

·
What?
865 Posts
Before Harley got a hold of them they were a great brand, you don't hear to much from them now. You can still get them used and parts should not be to much of an issue for a few years to come. I have known a few guys that had the blast and loved it, I have never ridden one as I am a whore for kawasaki.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts