Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17 and just bought my first bike, a 1979 Honda CX500 Custom. It only ran on one cylinder when I bought it and I am attempting to fix it up. The guy who sold it to me thought that it had a bad coil, but I checked it and I'm getting healthy spark. Next I thought I had better focus on the fuel system, mainly the carbs. I sprayed carb and choke cleaner through the carb and the jets, and cleaned the jets with a wire from a wire brush. Now it sometimes runs on two cylinders, but most of the time just on one. I'm thinking I will try to spray seafoam through the carb and see if that does the trick. Since the ignition system tested good I'm convinved it is a fuel delivery issue. It has custom straight pipes, and when it fires one two for the first time in a while it shoots flames out the exhuast, which leads me to believe that the carb is not in really bad shape. The throttle cable was hanging on by a thread and it finally broke, so I am awaiting a pair of new ones. I'm handy on cars, but I'm new to working on bikes, so if you have ANY advice, let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I believe they are heavy. Good luck with it. Perhaps taking the carb off might be needed to get it fully clean. The carb cleaner did a bit, so taking it off and apart might do it. Others might know the bike better.

·
Veryfried
1,453 Posts
agree - they are a heavy bike but well reliable (if you can get it going lol)
loads of courier riders use them.
theyre not too fast tho, and watch the kickback from the shaft drive when you throttle back in corners - can take u by surprise til u get used to it!

you might find these manuals usefull - http://drop.io/CX500_GL500

do a search for chopper charles as well, loads of info on the cx & gl :thumbsup:

*in fact, there u go, save u lookin lol
manuals, faq etc, everything you need.
http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/88078/ShowPost.aspx

(apologise again to mods for linking away from this great site, but that is THE place for help with cx500)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I think the CX500 is a pretty darn good bike. They are fugly but they can be worked with......

This is one I recently sold for $800.....had about 20K miles on it.

Thats a seat off a HD Sporty......EMGO fairing....drag bars......flat black rattle can paint.....just a few things here and there to make it better looking.

All new cables, fresh fluids, cleaned carbs......made a dang good bike.

I think it turned out good......

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I have to say that that looks smart, very good indeed.
Yeah lowering it helped a ton.....not sure how many inches lower those rear shocks were but they helped quite a bit. They were on sale, best $100 I spent on that bike.

.....after that the side stand needed modified for sure, it was unusable and it was a real bitch to get up on the center stand cause you had no leverage with it that much lower to the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts