Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an attempt at motovlogging. There is a lot of cutting in it, so it's far from perfect. But I uploaded it so, if I make future videos, I can check to see progress. Also it's so people can give me advice or tips how to make the videos better.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Nice video, but you really need a new windshield, cant see **** through it. It kind of ruins it for the viewer.

·
Registered
995 Posts
No disrespect to you personally and I hope you will except this as constructive criticism, after all you aksed.

I don't get it. I never have! A guy rides a motorcycle around town and through traffic, making riding technique mistakes while talking about motorcycle things and provides no visual reference to those things. So instead of him being a talking head, he is a talking motorcycle!! I could only watch about a minute and 30 seconds and was bored.

With those harsh words said, may I make a suggestion that you work on improving your jump cuts. There are several methods that are effective. The first is to rehearse your dialog before you starting shooting video to avoid the need for cuts. Also, you can use a blending method at the cuts to reduce the jarring effect of the jump cuts such as a very brief dissolve. You can also use cut-a-ways, which in the report you are doing about gear be more productive. So another suggestion, as you are riding along and talking about your HJC helmet, maybe cut to a still photo of your helmet either as you wear it or on static display (this could actually be a slow motion video clip). The viewer can then see the actual model you are so proud of and using. Just some suggestions and hints that you could use to improve your presentation, excel it above all the other boring motovlogs and advance your subscription count.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No disrespect to you personally and I hope you will except this as constructive criticism, after all you aksed.

I don't get it. I never have! A guy rides a motorcycle around town and through traffic, making riding technique mistakes while talking about motorcycle things and provides no visual reference to those things. So instead of him being a talking head, he is a talking motorcycle!! I could only watch about a minute and 30 seconds and was bored.

With those harsh words said, may I make a suggestion that you work on improving your jump cuts. There are several methods that are effective. The first is to rehearse your dialog before you starting shooting video to avoid the need for cuts. Also, you can use a blending method at the cuts to reduce the jarring effect of the jump cuts such as a very brief dissolve. You can also use cut-a-ways, which in the report you are doing about gear be more productive. So another suggestion, as you are riding along and talking about your HJC helmet, maybe cut to a still photo of your helmet either as you wear it or on static display (this could actually be a slow motion video clip). The viewer can then see the actual model you are so proud of and using. Just some suggestions and hints that you could use to improve your presentation, excel it above all the other boring motovlogs and advance your subscription count.
I rewatched the video, and I don't really see the "riding technique mistakes" you talk about? The reason I did have that amount of "jump cuts" is because I was taking care of the riding part and not just the talking part.

Thanks for the feedback on the jump-cuts by the way. It's one of the things my girlfriend pointed me at when I showed her. This video is my first attempt, so I know it isn't that great. I wanted to upload it and use it to review in the future (what can I improve etc.).

I thought about putting pictures in, but was "too lazy" to do it. So that's why it's kinda bored right now. Next time I try to take your tips in account so I can improve. Again, thanks for the feedback!

·
On The Road Again!
4,337 Posts
Let me add a few things....
After you clean the windshield, aim the camera up a little higher so we
can see more of the horizon ahead instead of looking at the speedometer.
The speedometer should be just barely visible at the bottom of
video frame.
And....vary the view. Instead of just one continuous view of the
white line on the road, include clips looking backwards, to the side,
or even back at you. And a few shots where the camera is mounted
at the side of the road watching you go by will make it more interesting
too.
You want to make a video that we'll want to watch AGAIN!
What you have there we barely want to see once.
And the chatter....An occasional comment about what we
are seeing is ok, but continuous talking definitely makes it
a video that we won't watch again.
Good luck with future videos!!

(these are just my thoughts based on what I like to see in a video.)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I rewatched the video, and I don't really see the "riding technique mistakes" you talk about?
At the 43 second mark you stop at the light. You could have positioned yourself with a better escape route. At 1 minute 14 seconds, you signal a lane change as you are changing the lane without providing advanced notice to other drivers of your change of lanes. That is as far as I watched. Those are not uncommon mistakes. You may refer to them as your riding style, to me they show a need for improvement. You and others may feel I'm nitpicking, and probably so, but others with even less experience or skills than you will watch your videos and I think a better example could be made. Just my opinion, we all have one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the 43 second mark you stop at the light. You could have positioned yourself with a better escape route. At 1 minute 14 seconds, you signal a lane change as you are changing the lane without providing advanced notice to other drivers of your change of lanes. That is as far as I watched. Those are not uncommon mistakes. You may refer to them as your riding style, to me they show a need for improvement. You and others may feel I'm nitpicking, and probably so, but others with even less experience or skills than you will watch your videos and I think a better example could be made. Just my opinion, we all have one.
Here in the Netherlands we learn to ride and stop in the same spot you would sit in a car, so directly behind the driver. This is why I stand to the left of the white arrow on the road. We also learn to always look in your rear view mirrors to check traffic behind you. Same goes for speeding up, slowing down, etc. For the escape route: there was one to both the left and right of the car in front of me (if I would have needed it).
For the changing lanes, I think you meant around the 1 minute mark. Yea, that was not the smoothest and most social way to change lanes. I know that. Also, the driver in that car saw me coming, and in the Netherlands we have something called "social driving". It's meant to give people space who need to change a lane when the lane is ending etc. It's just a social thing, but not doing it will cause you to fail the exam. Still most people don't do that, and since I noticed the car driver not giving me lots of space by slowing a little down (not hitting the break, just taking the foot of the paddle) I sped up, checked the car in my rear-view mirrors, turned on the signals and changed lanes. Since I have hyper-smooth enabled on the GoPro, the rotation of my head isn't displayed right. It looks like I barely turn my head, but most of the time my head is about 90 degree turned when I check my shoulder. The GoPro shows it like it's only 45 degree. But maybe that's caused by the position of the GoPro on the helmet (on the right side).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.