Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. I will be getting my motorcycle permit soon and need to find a good motorcycle. Price isn't a problem. I am wandering if I should go for a Cruiser:71baldboy: , sport bike, or supermoto. It has to be a 250, used mostly to go around town, not to much though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
What kind of bike do you want? Perhaps going to a motorcycle dealer(s) and sitting on some bikes would give you an idea of what's a good fit for you. Sometimes the bike you like doesn't fit you well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats the thing, for a beginner who has only ridden dirtrbikes, do you think i should go with supermoto, cruiser, or sport bike? what would be best for a beginner?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I would take a good look at what you see yourself on 5 years from now, and buy a good bike to use as a springboard towards that goal.

If you like sport bikes, maybe a Ninja 250

If you like adventure bikes, maybe a Honda XL250

If you like cruisers, maybe a V Star 250

·
Registered
804 Posts
I agree with hawkaholic37. Choose one based on where you see yourself down the road. And remember, there's no rule against having more than one.

·
Registered
650 Posts
what would be best for a beginner?
I don't think there's an absolute best, but it depends on a lot of things - what you like and want, your budget, skill level, etc. I can't answer for you since we just met. Most 250s are pretty tame and should be good for a novice.

I sat on a Yamaha XT250 earlier this year and thought would make a good starter bike, but I had already bought something else. Being that it's a dual sport, you can drop it and no one cares, and it should be good for around town. It's also fuel-injected, which generally speaking gets you better mileage and a smoother throttle.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
They typically train folks on 250cc bikes in the Basic Rider's Course (BRC), but why does it "HAVE" to be a 250cc????

-Soupy

·
Registered
16 Posts
They typically train folks on 250cc bikes in the Basic Rider's Course (BRC), but why does it "HAVE" to be a 250cc????

-Soupy
I think I'd rather pass along the encouragement here, it's much easier to learn technique and not make life altering mistakes when you have less power at your disposal. The gas mileage is great and now that the Ninjas look pretty decent you don't have to get stuck with a ****ty Hyosung that only looks decent.

The smart thing for new riders is to do just that, start small. Pick a bike that's closer to what you want long term style wise and you won't regret starting at 250cc. The earlier posts are right on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Plenty of reasons why I has to be a 250. I'm also a soon-to-be new rider and have been searching my future bike. Mine has to be under 400cc because where I live we have tiered registration fees, above 400cc and they double and quadruple depending on model!

To answer the original post, I can advise you based on my experience being in the same boat as you: RESEARCH! ask yourself first of all why you are getting a motto license, what type of bike answers to that reasons, and what you honestly see yourself on. Research a few models by reading reviews or getting advice on these forums, and get it down to a short list. At that point, assuming your short list takes your budget into consideration, it all comes down to the test ride.

I have had the CBR-250, Ninja-300, GW-250, TU-250, and YZF-R3 on my list, was convinced the R3 was gonna be it, and am now decided on the TU-250. I am now waiting patiently for next spring to take my course and test ride that bike. If for whatever reason money becomes an issue by then, a used CBR-250 is my backup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The cbr250 is nice, how about a Suzuki gsf 250? I'm 6'2 and found it a good lil tourer and the v-twin has a nice amount of go. Drove all of new Zealand on it, over mountains, plains and windy costal roads, never let me down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts