Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to think fingerless gloves were just an affectation of those trying to look cool, and in fact, these seem to be an article of clothing pretty exclusively being used by cruiser riders and full-dress touring bikers. But after fruitless searches for gloves that would give me some protection in the event of me hitting the road, yet allow enough air in to keep my hands moderately cool in the summer, I bought a pair of fingerless gloves, and they have quickly become my gloves of choice on hot weather days. Do you use them? If so, why, and if not, why not? Just curious as to how members here feel about this item.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I tried fingerless gloves years ago, I stopped using them when a bee got in there between two fingers and starting stinging me at 60 mph.
My problem with hot weather days is not my hands..... I need a ram-air seat.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have a pair of fingerless and I use them every once in a while. I also had a pair of mesh gloves that I wore for a while. I always seem to go back to either Cortech DXR gloves or leather vented gloves. Its been so damn hot here this week that riding in gear is near impossible. Today its 99 degrees out with 100% humidity....just brutal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do I use fingerless gloves---NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Not unless I want to be fingerless! They are strictly style driven. I do wear fingerless gloves bicycling (bicycle specific and not intended for 60 MPH get offs) but even there if racing is on the agenda, then I have full finger bicycle gloves. They do make good driving gloves.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
I should have added. For nice light thin leather gloves, go to the horsey store. Watch some dressage riders, you will see what I mean. They also have cute snug fitting pants. Jodhpurs.

UK

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
I currently own a pair of fingerless gloves, and I believe it is my second or third pair.

Yes, there was a “cool“ factor on some level, but I appreciated at least being able to protect my palms which are the first things that I tend to land on.

I don’t go down, generally, but the one or two times I have fallen, my unprotected fingers were not an issue.

When it’s really hot out, even though I know I shouldn’t do it, I’ve gone without gloves. I don’t recommend it, but the fingerless gloves were a bear to get off, when my hands were sweaty!

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one pair I own are inexpensive ones that I bought at the local Harley dealer. I just ordered a pair of what look like higher quality riding gloves, albeit fingerless, from Revzilla. I'm curious as to whether or not they will seem any more comfortable for riding from the Harley gloves. When I wear those Harley gloves, my bike seems to run poorly, leak oil, and tattoos start to appear on my arms.

Reactions: wollerms

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I've owned several pair, but only one pair at a time. I guess I did start wearing them in the beginning because they were "cool", but so what. It's a habit now. I wear them til cooler weather hits then I wear my gauntlets.

I've got a good pair now. The last pair I bought did nothing but p..., irritate me. The velcro straps kept coming undone and flapping in the breeze. Last I seen of them, they were laying on the side of a 4 lane highway down in Texas. Guess I shouldn't tell on myself like that but maybe a hobo will find them and like them. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes, I wear fingerless gloves - but only when riding my bicycle, not my motorcycle. I got ten miles in today - on the bicycle.

I want more protection when I am riding my motorcycle - even when it's hot. Ventilated leather, baby. I will say that I've gone down a couple of times on the bicycle - both times on pavement - and the fingerless gloves saved my palms! Fortunately I haven't dropped the motorcycle - yet. This one, at least. I dropped the first five I owned. Totaled the first one, 46 years ago. But I digress.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had to rout out a sewer line in my house and wanted a cheap pair of gloves that I wouldn't feel bad throwing away. Went to Lowes and picked up these. Three pairs for about 10 bucks. Perfect... use and dispose. Put one pair through the ringer and when I was done they were still in good shape. Padded palms and fingers held up nicely despite handling the sharp auger and cabling.

Went riding on a hot day and didn't want to wear my regular leather gloves so I wore the yellow pair. They kept my hands incredibly cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used to think fingerless gloves were just an affectation of those trying to look cool, and in fact, these seem to be an article of clothing pretty exclusively being used by cruiser riders and full-dress touring bikers. But after fruitless searches for gloves that would give me some protection in the event of me hitting the road, yet allow enough air in to keep my hands moderately cool in the summer, I bought a pair of fingerless gloves, and they have quickly become my gloves of choice on hot weather days. Do you use them? If so, why, and if not, why not? Just curious as to how members here feel about this item.
Yep. I'm a big fan. Safety wise, you're better off with full fingered gloves but we all make compromises. I live on the gulf coast and when I ride in summer I'm usually wearing a T-shirt and fingerless gloves. I do, however, ALWAYS rdie with jeans and boots. I figure if you have a spill and go flying forward your instinct is to put your hands in front of you to catch yourself. Given that you will probably land on the heels of your hands the palm protection on fingerless gloves is a good safety protection. A plus is that if you need to do something that requires dexterity (get wallet out, dig in pocket, etc) you can't do that with full finger gloves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts