Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colorado like other states has implemented the "Fines Doubled" revenue program.

Our signs do NOT include the disclaimer "When workers are present..."

So for a half-mile of construction they'll set up cones for 5 miles on either side. Like outside of Pagosa Springs right now.

Absolute Bullxhit, in my opinion.

Highway 491 (the old 666) from Shiprock to Gallup is orange coned virtually it's entire length. And has been for 2 years.

If I don't have a radar detector, I get behind an 18 wheeler who probably does and we ALL do 70mph except for the actual 1-2 miles where construction is actually occuring.

Why the bull****? Why is EVERY government employee, from Park Rangers to Highway Patrolmen nothing more than a tax collector anymore.

Screw this!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We're a bit more sophisticated in Ontario Canada ;)

However we also have similar signs around school zones, and I don't recall them having a "when children present" exception.. so even on weekends & evenings watch out!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing that's really annoying about "Revenue Zones" is it leads to LESS safety for the workers rather than more.

When you orange barrel/cone 5 miles AHEAD of the actual construction drivers ignore it and don't slow down until they actually SEE workers.

Even with the "Fines Doubled" feature!

Am I the only one peeved about this new method of tax collection?

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
When North FL when from 4 to 6 lanes on I-75 from the GA line to Gainesville (100 + Miles) And this area was under construction for over 2 years their extra income just from Doubled Fee's was Thousands everyday .. Contributed to it twice myself and both times No Workers were anywhere nearby but got fined double anyway ..

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Why is EVERY government employee, from Park Rangers to Highway Patrolmen nothing more than a tax collector anymore.
What do you mean "anymore", they always have been. It isn't about safety, it's about screwing the public. I guess the boys were spending too much time in the coffee shop, so now we have red light camera's and if you get popped by one of them it's about 270 dollars.

·
Motorbike Macgyver
325 Posts
You're all going to hate me for this, but I support the IDEA of the "fines doubled" program. If you speed in a construction zone, you should pay double because you're more likely to cause an accident. I do NOT, however, support its implementation across the board. It doesn't take 5 miles or even two miles to slow down. What they SHOULD do is put a SIGN up, WARNING drivers that they are APPROACHING a construction zone, NOT make the construction zone 5 miles long. I would say a mile to a mile and a half is PLENTY. And maybe a half mile on the other side of the construction zone.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Fines doubled in contrcution zones has been implemented in CT for many many years, thinking since 80's or 90's. Yes, I am one of those who will slow down once I reach the area in question. I don't want someone driving through my work space at 65 mph. Their safety is important too. Here it doesn't matter if there are workers present or not, if its a zone, its doubled regardless of whether they are working or as usual, holding up the shovel....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our sign says fines doubled when lights blinking & then there are two lights at the top of the sign. It's 50/50 really on the maintenance of the lights. Some projects are proper... on when they are working, off when no one is present. Other times, they are left on constant.

·
Registered
886 Posts
There is a school zone on a road I drive almost every day that lowers the speed limit from 40 to 25mph 7:30 am til 4:30 pm every day including holidays and weekends, meaning even when school is out even during summer.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
5 miles for a 1 mile construction zone........wow you got good
here its 10 miles before and after a construction zone maybe 100y.

Remember back when the speed limit was 55, you had to slow down to 45.......now the speed limit is 70 and you have to slow down to 55.......hmmm

Not only do we go to 1 lane, but traffic is routed into the left lane then back into the right lane when the left lane is closed, opposite when the right lane is closed.

You can see a semi in the one ln section, and yet there are still people racing to get there first.

This stretch of 64 is not extremely busy, and the flow of traffic is around 80, you hit the construction zone and everybody slow to 65-70 and when we get to the actual construction zone everybody slows down 50-55. I keep about 5 sec following distance and for the most part the car behind me has a more than reasonable following distance.

I have not and I have not heard of anyone getting a ticket in these zones, I'd expect if someone got a ticket they were probably deserving.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Speeding fines are more than tripled here in Illinois in a construction zone. I believe the minimum speeding violation is $375 for going through the zone too fast.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
It does not end there with the costs... Get a speeding ticket for 70 in a 55 and nationwide upped the premium by 10 or 20%. BTW,Wade,how may points are on your license?

·
Nightfly
4,039 Posts
What do you mean "anymore", they always have been. It isn't about safety, it's about screwing the public. I guess the boys were spending too much time in the coffee shop, so now we have red light camera's and if you get popped by one of them it's about 270 dollars.
Completely agree Blaine. It is not and never was about safety, it's always been about the dollar. I'm sure here in Pa it's the same everywhere, doubled fines in construction areas. But as a CDL holder any fine I incur is doubled just by the fact of having a CDL. So does that mean my fines are 4 X the norm?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts