Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's an easy and safe way to clean the key slot? I have some electrical cleaner spray I have been too scared to use. I work at a sand plant and sand gets into everything on my cycle. Some days I have to push my key in with a lot of vibrations to get it through some fine sand.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Compressed air.

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
A strong vacuum pump and a thin hose, for me. Using a spray or compressed air may force the sand deeper into the lock. But, it would be best to keep it out - carry a roll of painter's tape, and don't forget to cover the lock when you park.

Since it is already messed up, you may have to take the lock apart, or to a locksmith, to get the sand out.

·
American Legion Rider
25,916 Posts
Best bet is to not let any get to it. You may have to take it apart to clean well but then figure out a way to keep it out from then on. Would depend on what the area looks like as to what would work best. What I would look at would be one of those cheap containers used to story leftover food in and try cutting one down to make a fairly tight cover. Might have to use a bungee cord or similar but something you can use repeatedly.

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
I agree, just using compressed air may drive the sand deeper into the lock. WD-40 would probably work for a short time but eventually gum up the pin tumblers and cause them to stick. I've found the best spray cleaner is a carburetor cleaner such as Gum Out, or Tri-Flow which contains Teflon. A liquid will attract dirt and dust and may make things worse over time.

Another product that should work well would be a dry graphite. Dry graphite will lubricate the inside of the lock making it easier to operate and not cause any of the internal parts to stick.

As Cowboy said, keeping the sand out should be your first priority. That should not be difficult.

·
On The Road Again!
4,192 Posts
Cover the bike when it's parked at the plant.

·
Visionary
5,255 Posts
I know what I’d try in this situation, after getting it clean to keep it that way I’d make a special key up with a nice soft rubber seal or cup and leave it in the bike when parked there to keep the sand out.
If it’s someplace you don’t want to leave a key in the bike just make a non functional key, use an uncut blank or file some of the bumps off an old key so it won’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts