Motorcycle Forum banner

Finding the perfect bike.

402 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Porky
I'm currently on a mission. Like any father that got permission from his wife, to buy a new toy. I've been riding a sv650s for years and I'm trying to find the next step up. Like any guy I instantly think superbike. I would like one but all I really want is the sv650 low end without getting passed by a 1k. Maybe something with some style 馃槅. I have a background in motorcycle mechanics but Ive been out of the game. So if anyone here could please help me. I don't mind old or new. I just want that perfect bike.

P.s. a customizable sporty boy would be a plus.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
The "perfect bike" is as hard to find as bigfoot. If you have EXTREMELY narrow riding requirements, you may find one. If you want to putt around town running errands, drag a knee in the twisties, and do an iron butt, there is no bike to do it all. I'm riding a Versys 1000 - aside from all-out dirt riding, it's okay for everything, but not great at anything.
Reactions: 2
I really appreciate the response. I also really didn't want to run on for to long about the ideas of which direction I wanted to go. I didn't believe people would want to read that much lol. But I am really just looking for suggestions.
The "perfect bike" is as hard to find as bigfoot. If you have EXTREMELY narrow riding requirements, you may find one. If you want to putt around town running errands, drag a knee in the twisties, and do an iron butt, there is no bike to do it all. I'm riding a Versys 1000 - aside from all-out dirt riding, it's okay for everything, but not great at anything.
Sorry still new I didn't see I needed to reply to your comment. 馃槅 But I did respond just on the main discussion. 馃榿
Like looking for a unicorn ..... Thats why I have 12 bikes on hand .....
Yeah my 5 bikes is still not enough variety for me... 馃ぃ
Reactions: 1
Yeah my 5 bikes is still not enough variety for me... 馃ぃ
Lol your one of those bike vegans.
Hey let me tell you about my 5 bikes. I name them after each girl that said yes.
Lol your one of those bike vegans.
Hey let me tell you about my 5 bikes. I name them after each girl that said yes.
No need for sarcastic remarks .. Banter , is the norm , but let's try not to turn this forum into another Thumper talk ..... Here we try to get along with others ....
And , welcome to the forum .. Tell us about , You , your bikes , where you ride ....
We like to introduce ourselves to others in the community ....
No need for sarcastic remarks .. Banter , is the norm , but let's try not to turn this forum into another Thumper talk ..... Here we try to get along with others ....
And , welcome to the forum .. Tell us about , You , your bikes , where you ride ....
We like to introduce ourselves to others in the community ....
Not trying to be sarcastic. Wasn't an insult. Just satire. But Ive worked on bikes a few years. Graduated Lincoln tech in Connecticut. Road the SV650 for about 12 years now. And just recently found out about the MT09. Lol. Not going to lie I think I found my unicorn. 馃榿
Just my two 垄, but any time I've up or side graded there's been things I really liked about the new machine and things I've lamented giving up on the old one. The SV is plenty fast. Is it important to spend the money so you don't get passed by liter bikes? You can only go as fast as the vehicle in front of you.
  • Helpful
I just bought the bike I have wanted for years; a Goldwing Aspencade. However, there is no perfect bike. While it's a lovely bike, it's not the best to just jump on and go to the store down the street or go for an adventure ride on, etc. I have also been looking for the perfect acoustic guitar for years. I have found several, and then keep finding better ones. It makes me so angry! ;)
  • Haha
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
I've had SFV650 Gladius for past 10-yrs and it's been my go-to for general purpose around-town bike. Also have 250, 600, 1000 bikes for racing. Another 250 for commuting (70mpg woohoo!). Valkyrie for touring. Various dirt-bikes, etc.

Recently looked around for Gladius's bigger brother. I tested about 1/2 of models from this article and settled on KTM SuperDuke. Much, much lighter than all others, and so much more nimble, than even my Gladius. With tonne more torque! Just hope KTM have solved their quality-control issues...

• Wow
"customizable sporty"

That is the Triumph Thruxton.
A true classic sport bike that provides endless possibilities for custom work.
Plus you can find very reasonable prices on used ones.

See less See more
  • Love
Also , buy a drip pan to go under them ....
  • Haha
Also , buy a drip pan to go under them ....
My Triumph has never leaked a drop. The old ones did leak just like most of the older bikes, the new ones are solid.
Have'nt even looked at the newer ones ..... Well satisfied with the Japanese bikes ....
Old Triumphs , Hardleys , Or other European bikes , Not for me.. Ya'all enjoy ....
My Triumph has never leaked a drop. The old ones did leak just like most of the older bikes, the new ones are solid.
I go way back as a rider.... had a Yamaha, a BSA, and a Triumph before I got drafted in '68. Guess which one didn't leak.
, Hardleys
You would hardley see me on one of those either. ;)

Sorry, BW, I couldn't resist.:) Now, you'll be watching my spelling like a Honda Nighthawk.
  • Haha
Have'nt even looked at the newer ones ..... Well satisfied with the Japanese bikes ....
Old Triumphs , Hardleys , Or other European bikes , Not for me.. Ya'all enjoy ....
I love Jap bikes too, my favorite all time is the Suzuki Intruder series, I just couldn't stand dealing with carbs anymore or I would still have one.
Stumbled on the Triumph and have been really happy with it. Looks, feel, performance, braking are all excellent. The only downside is the stock seat is not great but those are easily replaceable. I also added the high bars because I wanted the upright position for back issues. I have the same motor as the Triumph Thruxton R or RS, I think, but mine is geared like a cruiser. Still its more than fast enough for me and handles like it's on rails.
Suzuki Intruder , Nobody around here wants to work on them ...Can't blame them ....
1 - 20 of 21 Posts