Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So excited. Just finished up putting motor back together on my 89 Chevy Silverado SS 350 after what I thought was just going to be a head gasket job. Brought the truck a month or two ago for 300. But this is what we found when we opened her up. That sludge was easy one inch thick, all over the valves, changed valve seals and mushrooms. New head bolts, new power steering pump. Just have to adjust the valves today and she's ready to fire up....I think we went through a good 12 bottles of brake cleaner.....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankfully, it's hard to kill a 350 motor. I still can't believe she didn't smoke like a chimney with how caked on the oil was on the valves.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
Did you rebuild the motor back to stock specs? And how many cases of beer did you guys go through to help deal with the sludge nightmare?

Damn... now I wanna go pull my engine apart. Just gotta have an excuse for buying a new cam and some Rhodes lifters lol

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rebuilt it to johnson specs lol. This baby gonna run good. Went through quite a few twenty packs....almost sent the bottom half out to be bored 30 over but with my leadfoot that would be dangerous....

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
a 350 isn't too hard to kill when a rod gets thrown...I know that one from experience :eek: (cracked the block :frown:)

I really think GM screwed up when they stopped making the 350....

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
a 350 isn't too hard to kill when a rod gets thrown...I know that one from experience :eek: (cracked the block :frown:)

I really think GM screwed up when they stopped making the 350....
Did that with a supercharged Buick V-6 that I decided to hook a Grand National turbo to. Was not one of my brightest moves lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts