Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't spent much time on here, mostly due to the fact that I have been trying not to think about motorcycles too much these past few sh***y months. Long story short. While I normally bring my bikes inside the house for winter (no garage), I was unable to do that this year. I had planned on bringing them in after we went downstate for a weekend in the Fall, but when we got back, there was several feet of snow. So they sat outside ALL winter under their covers. Most of this Winter, they were completely covered by snow. Well, I woke up this morning and saw that it was a 40F sunny day and decided that it was time to wake them up. Spent all day shovelling and breaking up ice and finally saw my bikes for the first time since November. Great day!

Attachments

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,502 Posts
Damn that is some snow. Did you try and start them?

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn that is some snow. Did you try and start them?
The ZX9R needed a new battery in the Fall so I didn't even attempt that one. Fairly certain that the Winter killed whatever was left of it. I did attempt to start the bobber, and if you look you can see some of the gasoline that came shooting out of the exhaust as well as the carbs. I figure that gas has made its way into the oil, too, so I'm going to change out the oil before I try to start it again. It did come close to firing up. If I had tried a little longer it would have.

·
American Legion Rider
18,620 Posts
This post should go in the bikers bar for it's vulgarity. That snow shovel! :D First one I've seen in 35 years. And I didn't want to ever see another one. I'm surprised you knew where to start digging. They looked quite buried.

·
10,763 Posts
One benefit of a garage for sure. We had a 40 something degree day and I got to push the bikes back out of the garage and have a nice ride, Looking at the amount of snow you had to move just to see the bikes. I would not have had the energy

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This post should go in the bikers bar for it's vulgarity. That snow shovel! :D First one I've seen in 35 years. And I didn't want to ever see another one. I'm surprised you knew where to start digging. They looked quite buried.
I should have a before picture. At one point during the Winter, the handlebars on the bobber had ripped through the cover and all you could see were 2 ape-hangers sticking out of the snow. It was a little daunting, but I started by shoveling around each bike and then just kept widening that until it met the snowblown part of the driveway.

One benefit of a garage for sure. We had a 40 something degree day and I got to push the bikes back out of the garage and have a nice ride, Looking at the amount of snow you had to move just to see the bikes. I would not have had the energy
I would love a garage. I think that I will build a 10x10 shed this summer. Just enough to hold the bikes and maybe the snowblower and lawnmower.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I could not live where there was that much snow. I love Michigan in the summer but definitely not in the winter. Glad to see you and your bikes again.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Thought you went AWOL. Now we know you're just snowbound!

I hope you make it to Spring without having to use that snow shovel again. :biggrin:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Congratulations on digging out! We have enough melting going on where I should be able to get the bikes out in a couple weeks.

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought you went AWOL. Now we know you're just snowbound!

I hope you make it to Spring without having to use that snow shovel again. :biggrin:
I hope so, too!

Congratulations on digging out! We have enough melting going on where I should be able to get the bikes out in a couple weeks.
I should be able to get the bikes out this week. I got oil for the bobber so now I'm just waiting for the last bit of snow to melt off the driveway.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
WOW! Yeah I had to do that once too, similar situation too. Went to Detroit for a night, came home and found it was going to stay right where it was for a few months.
Glad you got a chance to find them and dig 'em out. I believe winter has finally lost it's grip down here in GR. How's the forecast there in TC?

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW! Yeah I had to do that once too, similar situation too. Went to Detroit for a night, came home and found it was going to stay right where it was for a few months.
Glad you got a chance to find them and dig 'em out. I believe winter has finally lost it's grip down here in GR. How's the forecast there in TC?
40s-50s and sunny as far as the eye can see (which is about 10 days according to weather.com). Nights will still be around 20-30 but I can live with that for a bit, seeing as less than a month ago we spent a solid week hovering around -30F. How's yours?

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, before and after pictures would have been powerful. Great to see you dug it out of the snow. We've had above average snowfall last month up here near Toronto.
I wish I had taken them, but I didn't think about it until after I was done. I'm new to the whole smart-phone thing (always just had a cheap flip phone) so I don't think about pics until it's too late:).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Good to see you back Sig.....sorry for the bikes...wow. Before I had a garage I rented a storage unit to keep the bikes in during winter. I also saw some real cool portable bike storage tents for like 300 bucks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts