Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two months of searching, I have found my "new" baby. She is a 2013 ZX-6R with 2194 miles purchased today with the following mods: a 2 Bros M-2 CF, integrated led tail light w/sequential turn signals, fender eliminator, brand new PC5, Kawasaki factory cover, tank pad with front and rear stands along with all stock parts for $7000

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
It looks fast just sitting there. The exhaust looks really cool.

But it does look like it should have a weapon mounted to it somehow. Like, hit a button and a panel opens up and a laser comes out on a remote control arm or something. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow man! That's a sweet bike. You must be thrilled to have it. What's the other bike you have?
How far away from riding weather are you in WI?
The other bike is a '07 Suzuki GS500F and yes, I am thrilled with this bike. Don't like that it backfires/pops a bit on deceleration and am trying to fix that before riding season starts...speaking of riding season, we aren't too different from you guys up there. The high was -12C today.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The other bike is a '07 Suzuki GS500F and yes, I am thrilled with this bike. Don't like that it backfires/pops a bit on deceleration and am trying to fix that before riding season starts...speaking of riding season, we aren't too different from you guys up there. The high was -12C today.
I know that normally MI, WI, ND, MN all get similar weather to us up here, sometimes worse. Like Northern NY has gotten hammered this winter. But today we had a GLORIOUS +6C. Sunny, no wind, total t-shirt weather. The snow was melting, and the predictions for the next week is all above 10C. I'm lapping it up, considering Texas is getting snow and around +1C.
What was the deciding factor in your getting that ZX-6? Is it carbed or injected?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know that normally MI, WI, ND, MN all get similar weather to us up here, sometimes worse. Like Northern NY has gotten hammered this winter. But today we had a GLORIOUS +6C. Sunny, no wind, total t-shirt weather. The snow was melting, and the predictions for the next week is all above 10C. I'm lapping it up, considering Texas is getting snow and around +1C.
What was the deciding factor in your getting that ZX-6? Is it carbed or injected?
The ZX-6R is fuel injected as most Japanese big 4 600 Supersports are and have been since 2003 or so.

Why the 6R? Hmm, where to start. First off, why a supersport bike; I love the styling, the fairly aggressive nature, and I just like the freedom of riding a bike overall. Now onto selection. I have ridden many of the big 4 that range from the 2003 ZX6R, 2005 R6, 2005 RR, 2006 R6, 2008 ZX6R, 2008 GSX-R, and the 2011 GSX-R. My wife and I decided I was going to get a bike and this would be the final "sport" bike so we decided to get something within 3-4 years old, max. In terms of overall comfort from all the bikes I rode, I liked the 2005 R6 the most due to it's less aggressive riding position with the 2011 GSX-R coming in at a close second. The GSX-R does have the "softest" stock seat out of all the bikes I've sat on. So when looking for a bike, I was initially going to grab something like a 2011-2013 GSX-R. I have a neighbor who has a 2010 ZX6R and I liked the way it looked and he was a Kawi guy. I looked at his bike and then he informed me that the latest generation ZX-6R was arguably the best supersport for the street and so I decided to do a little digging.

I know some will give me hell for this but I looked online for opinions of riders who ride for a living, do reports for a living etc. I read all the reviews for the 2013+ ZX-6R and by all accounts, it had more torque down low than its fellow peers, had a "plush" suspension purposely set for street riders, and was the only 600 that came with traction control as standard. Living in a place with snow nearly 6 months of the year, which means left over sand and salt, traction control sounded really attractive. Then I sat on a new '13 and it just felt right. While the seat is still a tad hard, wishing I had the GSX-R seat, the posture felt good and I just knew I wanted a '13 or '14 ZX-6R and that's how I went and decided with the ZX6R.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
It probably needs mapped for the two brothers exhaust. Not really a big deal but it may need to go to the shop to have it done. You might be able to download the map from the two brothers site.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It probably needs mapped for the two brothers exhaust. Not really a big deal but it may need to go to the shop to have it done. You might be able to download the map from the two brothers site.
Yea, I was a tad worried but a simple google search and a few hours of reading has determined that if it backfires/pops upon deceleration or letting off the throttle, it won't do any damage really to the engine. If it pops or backfires upon revving or acceleration, then there is a problem. I am going to do the kleen air mod and if that doesn't solve it, PCV it is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
2Y4life
that's a gorgeous bike. And the only thing I can think of is your fuel mixture being a little off. When I put on the straight pipes on my Virago I had the same issue. Even though my bike was carbed, I still needed to re-jet it. And ever since, it's backfired on decel. Wouldn't worry TOO much about it. You can always get it dyno'd or even get a power commander installed to rectify the fuel mixture issue.
Just as a cheap possibility of a fix have you replaced all the spark plugs with new ones? Theres a possibility that one or more plugs are fouled and that's causing fuel to build up in the cylinder causing a backfire after a heavy acceleration. Just a thought

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2Y4life
that's a gorgeous bike. And the only thing I can think of is your fuel mixture being a little off. When I put on the straight pipes on my Virago I had the same issue. Even though my bike was carbed, I still needed to re-jet it. And ever since, it's backfired on decel. Wouldn't worry TOO much about it. You can always get it dyno'd or even get a power commander installed to rectify the fuel mixture issue.
Just as a cheap possibility of a fix have you replaced all the spark plugs with new ones? Theres a possibility that one or more plugs are fouled and that's causing fuel to build up in the cylinder causing a backfire after a heavy acceleration. Just a thought
I've looked all over and it's because of the shorty exhaust causes it to run lean. Apparently if it backfires during deceleration, you need not worry but if it backfires while accelerating, then you have a problem. Still, I'd prefer for it not to backfire and will try a few things. Thanks for the advice and responses

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Almost all bikes pop through the exhaust a little bit on deceleration, but with a stock exhaust you usually can't hear it. With a louder exhaust the popping is more noticeable, so popping with a performance exhaust is usually "normal," and won't hurt the engine. (As long as something else isn't causing the pops.)

Since an exhaust leak can cause decel poping too, I'd check for that before I spent money on a Power Commander. Especially since someone previously replaced the exhaust system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts