Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father was a master mechanic, extremely fussy!, and I spent a lot of my youth in his shop helping out. As a result, i just hate letting anyone else work on my bike (or any other piece of machinery) because I know the job will not be up to my standards! I don't particularly like getting dirty or frustrated trying to get at something that is nearly impossible to get at but I do want the job done RIGHT!

I have been around motorcycles a long time but never run across another female mechanic. Have you?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have seen women in many lines of work, but not as a motorcycle mechanic. (Of course I do not spend a lot of time at shops). I have seen one or two car mechanics over the years.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
I've seen girls enrolled in auto mechanics classes at the trade schools but none out in the real world. Wonder if they drop out before completing the courses or just find other work.

Maybe they have trouble getting hired? Discrimination?

·
American Legion Rider
18,538 Posts
I've seen one female mechanic but it was an independent auto repair shop. Was a husband and wife team. But I've never seen one at a major dealership or motorcycle shop, independent or otherwise. This isn't WW2. But women complain that they don't get paid the same as men then why don't they go after ever job men do? Pick and choose is probably the very reason they don't get paid the same at the jobs they do take. That's my guess anyway.

There was a female in the drafting lab I worked at and when it came time for the boring engineering changes she ALWAYS had other jobs to finish. And yes she complained about getting the crappy jobs later on as management wised up. We had strict rules about pay level discussion but we all knew who was getting what. Yep, she could have complained but wouldn't have a leg to stand on with any argument she could dream up. Have to take the good with the bad. I hated drawing logic pages but took them as they came. Far as I know she could still be in that lab complaining. I moved on as most did.

I actually think there is a great opportunity for a female mechanic. Women are getting ripped off(so they say) when they get their cars repaired so a female could maybe be on their side more. But how many men would go to one? Chances are not many. Men tend to get defensive and might object to a female able to fix what they can't. Heck I'm always running to my wife to ask her to stick her hand in between two things to get a socket or something I can't get my hand in. That's beginning a mechanic ain't it?:D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
..But women complain that they don't get paid the same as men then why don't they go after ever job men do? Pick and choose is probably the very reason they don't get paid the same at the jobs they do take. That's my guess anyway.
That doesn't make sense. Men 'pick and choose' jobs to and only apply for the ones that interest them.

...And yes she complained about getting the crappy jobs later on as management wised up.
That happens with both genders.

Women are getting ripped off(so they say) when they get their cars repaired.....
That's a fact! I have had garages try to rip me off and were quite taken-aback when I called them on it. I also keep a close eye on my female friends (and their mothers) to see that they don't get ripped off either!

But how many men would go to one? Chances are not many. Men tend to get defensive and might object to a female able to fix what they can't.
That's true; men have a very fragile ego. Many men say they believe that women can be/are equal but would never go to a female mechanic.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,453 Posts
I would be scared of a female mechanic. She would always be right!!! :)

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I've worked in and been around a lot of shops and I don't ever remember running into a female mechanic. We have a couple really great parts counter girls around here, but not mechanics.

·
American Legion Rider
18,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcowboy
..But women complain that they don't get paid the same as men then why don't they go after ever job men do? Pick and choose is probably the very reason they don't get paid the same at the jobs they do take. That's my guess anyway.

That doesn't make sense. Men 'pick and choose' jobs to and only apply for the ones that interest them.

Quote:
...And yes she complained about getting the crappy jobs later on as management wised up.

It may not make sense to you about picking and choosing, but you are the one pointing out that there are few if any mechanics. So how about garbage collecting. See any there? No competition there. I can name more where there are non or very few. Making women pickier if you would. Can you say that about men. Cooking? No, there are men chefs. Nope, I say they are pickier and stick with that. Thank you very much!

As far as wage differences, that was just my own personal experience. Yes it does happen to both.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I went to Harley school with two females. One was a very good student but dropped out because her husband got kind of insecure about her being better then he was. The other worked in a dealership for several years, completed all her pHD's, and was a certified Master Technician. She got recruited by another company and now runs a water treatment plant. She still loves working on bikes but couldn't pass up the better job opportunity. I know of another female metric technician but I haven't seen her in a couple of years so don't know if she's still in the field.

Two of my very good female friends are parts countermen and have earned the respect of just about anyone that deals with them through their hard work and knowledge. (There are also two other female countermen at dealerships here but I don't know them real well.)

Another female here is a shop owner, and has owned or run a motorcycle shop for I'd guess at least 15 years. I buy probably 80% of my parts from her and am continually impressed by her knowledge and business acumen. I could definitely see her intimidating a few males as she is also a fitness competitor and is in awesomely great shape. And she open carries in her shop.

Yeah, an athletic female in spandex, packing a gun, that has forgotten more about motorcycles then most riders will ever know, might just bruise a delicate ego or two.:biggrin:

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts

That's a fact! I have had garages try to rip me off and were quite taken-aback when I called them on it. I also keep a close eye on my female friends (and their mothers) to see that they don't get ripped off either!

That's true; men have a very fragile ego. Many men say they believe that women can be/are equal but would never go to a female mechanic.
Go to the wrong place and guys are just as likely to get ripped off as Ladies. I've seen cars in here for second opinions time and time again with huge estimates (mostly from your chain tire stores) that were just shops more interested in profit than treating their customers fairly.

"Fragile ego" B.S......
I don't believe in this day and time the average man is going to care if a qualified Technician is male or female. I know I don't, I'd hire a female in a heartbeat with the right references. The thing is I don't personally know many women that could keep up with the physical part of my job. Maybe being a bike tech would be a bit less physically strenuous, but I wouldn't think by much.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
I would have no problem with a woman mechanic. But, I know plenty of guys that would.

I was taught by an old girlfriend how to change brake pads and rotors. Didn't damage my ego on bit.

C

·
0 Posts
I have no problem with a female working on my bike. Although, I ride a Honda so not much needed for repairs but all joking aside, no issues with a female working on my bike.

I have met some tuff ass females in my time doing what I used to do for a living. I will tell you upfront and straight to the point that some females can hold their own ground.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I've got NO problem if the mechanic is female or male.
Just so long as they are good at what they do.

But to be honest, I haven't met any female motorcycle mechanics in LA. if they exist, they're pretty rare.

dT

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
There's a hybrid only shop out in SF owned and staffed largely by women. Based on their Internet postings I'd say they're some of the most knowledgeable hybrid techs in the country.

Lucious Garage. 5-star rating on Yelp with 176+ reviews.
How many businesses you EVER seen with those kind of #'s?

I found auto repair to be a "eat or be eaten" business. A few senior techs would help junior guys. Teach/assist, show the tricks of the trade. Most wouldn't, viewed us as future competition for the same tickets (jobs.), wouldn't lend a tool, backstabbing, etc. You had to be tough, and willing to play rough.

It's a shi&tty business your first few years. Plenty of reasons to get out of it and only one or two to stay.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey! I work in water treatment! We have women. They work in administration, the lab as techs, engineering and management. We have only one in Operations. None in mechanical.

I'd use a female mechanic. If you can do the job, you can do the job.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts