Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding pillion for a year now. All is fine except when it comes to the motorway. I have a tremendous overwhelming fear that I am going to pass out from the fear and I can't seem to shake the feeling. I tried the tip from my bf to look around while on the bike to change the perspective but it doesn't help. I feel like headed, my hands and feet get pins and needles too and I feel like I have no control of my breathing. Just approaching the motorway brings this feeling to life. It's a combination on things. Speed, wind noise, pressure on my head and my own thoughts when I am noticing how my body is reacting to the feeling. Any advice? Anyone ever have this?

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
What kind of bike? Does is have a passenger backrest, and, if not, can it be fitted with one? Some of my passengers have said they are a lot more relaxed since I put a backrest on my bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of bike? Does is have a passenger backrest, and, if not, can it be fitted with one? Some of my passengers have said they are a lot more relaxed since I put a backrest on my bike.
It does, it's a Honda vfr 800. And the other bike is an R1200RT
Both have back rests. It's weird because I was fine in the past some days but it seems to be getting worse.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'd say stay away. Motorcycles are for fun. What you are feeling is dreadful - and dangerous. It doesn't matter if your feelings are objectively reasonable if they put you at risk, or make you feel at risk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say stay away. Motorcycles are for fun. What you are feeling is dreadful - and dangerous. It doesn't matter if your feelings are objectively reasonable if they put you at risk, or make you feel at risk.
I might do that, but I like overcoming fears too. But it's getting to be way to much. Pins and needles to me is a bad sign.
But if anyone else has felt like this, would still like to hear some advice.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
You could have a medical condition brought on by riding passenger on a VFR800, that wasn't meant for one:smile_big:

The RT is a much better place to hang out if it has a good back rest.:smile:

Seriously, it might be an inner ear thing causing this problem or low or high glucose levels or even electrolyte imbalance/ dehydration or maybe your BF has scared the 'POOP' out of you one to many times:grin:

Until you can ascertain what the problem is and rectify it, you should stay off of the bike as you are not only a danger to yourself but the BF pilot also!!!!:surprise:

Welcome to the forum.:kiss:

Sam:nerd:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
Do you know what happened to cause this fear? You said you were fine before. If you can figure out what causes it, you are ahead of the game trying to fix it.

Reactions: Bubby88

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could have a medical condition brought on by riding passenger on a VFR800, that wasn't meant for one:smile_big:

The RT is a much better place to hang out if it has a good back rest.

Seriously, it might be an inner ear thing causing this problem or low or high glucose levels or even electrolyte imbalance/ dehydration or maybe your BF has scared the 'POOP' out of you one to many times:grin:

Until you can ascertain what the problem is and rectify it, you should stay off of the bike as you are not only a danger to yourself but the BF pilot also!!!!:surprise:

Welcome to the forum.:kiss:

Sam:nerd:
Do you know what happened to cause this fear? You said you were fine before. If you can figure out what causes it, you are ahead of the game trying to fix it.
I have no idea what caused this, only that the first time I was on the motorway was like a blur. It was last new years day (strangely) and it was freezing. On that day I was on the back of his dad's zzr, and I just remember holding on for life staring at my bfs back. I did not look anywhere.
The next time, was a nice day weather wise and I felt like I was having a panic attack.

I don't blame my bf. It's all mostly in my head as I feel this, I am convinced I am going to pass out and I am afraid to ask to stop or pull over because if my bf says it might take a minute or two that accelerates the nerves or would anyway.

I'm a big over thinker and while I do dislike the motorway, I am fine with any other road.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
If you want to ride again, perhaps try helmet headsets, so you can talk to each other. Being able to chat may ease your tension. At the least, you can ask him to head to a side street, so you can calm down, and just 'sample' the motorways a bit at a time.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
You might also suggest to your boyfriend to test ride a larger bike like a Goldwing and if he feels comfortable then you take a test ride with him on it. Sometimes the big makes a huge difference in how a passenger feels. My wife would literally fall asleep on the back of my Electra Glide when we commuted to work together. Can't get more relaxed than that. But she would never do that on the smaller bike we had.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
A ZZR has the passenger sitting up there in the air like an after thought. Hell I would be afraid to ride on the back. You need to get back to the ground until you get comfortable again.

Reactions: Bubby88

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've literally driven around the world 8 times in my life and I'm totally at home driving just about anything with a motor...but man...wow...riding passenger on a sport bike...terrifying. Fortunately, I'm a guy, and 2 guys on a sport bike...well, not a "cool" picture..so I've only been on the back because there was no other choice.

You're just scared; everyone gets over it differently if ever...so no real advice for you.

Tell your boyfriend you want to drive with him on the back...then he'll understand your fear:)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Actually its much safer on the highway/interstate than riding in town, no cross streets or traffic lights for cage drivers to run through, and no one to turn in front of you at an intersection. I'm much more relaxed doing 80 mph on the interstate, than riding on regular streets or in town, that's where the accidents happen.

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
That is so true, I have some co workers who I've argued about this with, they say I'm crazy mixing it up with the semis at 85mph every day to and from work, they ride but not the interstate if they can help it. Statistically it's so much safer on a limited access highway with everyone ( hopefully) going in the same direction at about the same speed that there really isn't much comparison.
Sure the speeds are high, but not that much higher, but the lack of cross traffic makes conflicts so much less likely to occur. The only danger that I see increased on that type of road is the risk of getting run over (possibly by a heavy truck) AFTER something happens, especially in the dark and or bad weather, that is real, I don't know much to do to avoid that though other than keeping proper distances and wearing any color other than black.

Actually its much safer on the highway/interstate than riding in town, no cross streets or traffic lights for cage drivers to run through, and no one to turn in front of you at an intersection. I'm much more relaxed doing 80 mph on the interstate, than riding on regular streets or in town, that's where the accidents happen.

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
" The Joy of Stress " is a book that talks about the subject in a very enlightened manner. I am sure it will differ from most folks preconceptions, as it did for me. It was required reading for a communications course I took. At first I was hesitant, but am now glad I read the book, and passed the test too.

UK

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Being a passenger on a bike is the ultimate in having a lack of control. The very few times in my life that I have been on the back of someone's bike have been uniformly awful. Being a rider, I just can't be comfortable with someone else deciding how to control the bike. The solution for you might be to sign up for a basic riding course. First, it make you want to be a rider which I guarantee you is much more fun that being a passenger. Second, just gaining the confidence of handling a motorcycle on your own may give you more comfort when on your bf's bike.

For what its worth, when I was a fairly new rider my young wife rode with me, but did not seem to really enjoy it. Her fear factor overwhelmed the fun factor. After just a few years she stopped riding with me, and motorcycling became a solo activity for me. Twenty years goes by, and one day, out of the blue, she says she would like to come for a ride with me. By that time I was riding a large, heavy cruiser with very ample passenger accommodations. That was over 25 years ago and she rides with me now virtually every time I take the bike out except when it gets a bit too cold for her. Ironically, her back issues may cause her to give up going on the bike with me, and that would be a real loss for both of us. Having a Goldwing, with a throne like seat for the passenger certainly makes the ride more comfortable and less stressful.

Reactions: Porky

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Sorry if this seems rude, but if I knew my wife was as terrified or anxious as you have been on my bike, I wouldn't want her on it...for her sake. Just knowing that you feel as though you will pass out. What IF you did? This symptom would be a game stopper for me. But good luck. Sorry I've no suggestions for you other than this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts