Motorcycle Forum banner

Favorite Sportster Model and year?

2581 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  louturks
I like them all but 1970 was a real special year to me and now I have a 2001 XLHS 1200 Sport model I like alot. I like the Showa suspension and lighter weight and power. Have you ever seen two spark plugs per cylinder on a stock Sporty?
What is your favorite and why?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
1973 Sportster Ironhead. Me and that bike just click. Simple as that.
Thinking about it now,my favorite Sportster Model is BSPORTY.
G
Oh man, that's an easy one! :D My favorite Sporty was both the first Harley AND Sportster I ever owned: a 1979 XLH-1000. Purchased in non-rideable condition from a Honda Dealer (for an arm and a leg!) in 1980 it was to be my first non-‘metric’ (not counting a previous Beemer and Norton) I was to own (and many more followed). ;-) Initially I’d call the bike ‘semi’ unreliable BUT it always DID get me back home! ;-) But overall I really loved that little scoot – miss it a lot now and then. Sadly by the time I had gotten the bike sorted out where it was fairly dependable AND had gotten a neat 4.5 gallon tank for it (removed the gawd awful 2.1 ‘Peanut’ tank) then BOOM – December 1981 got left turned by a metric pickup. Sigh…. Seriously destroyed that bike (didn’t do me much good either)…. Really wasn’t much left TO salvage. ;-(

Before all of that what wasn’t to like?! I was 23, 152 pounds and 5’ 9-1/2” tall back them – seemed to be the perfect power to weight ratio?! ;-) The bike ‘felt’ powerful (I’d call it ‘zippy’) – probably seeming a lot more powerful then it really was?! And dog gone did it sound GOOD! ;-) Add to that I was getting around 50 mpg on it – among some of the better fuel consumption bikes I had owned over the years. ;-) And at least to me (at least compared to past Gold-Wings and big Suzukis) it seemed to really handle great and track straight and true down the highway. ;-)

Finally, one unexpected bonus: all of a sudden the girls started taking notice! ;-) Wasn’t exactly beating em’ off with a stick after getting that little Harley. But dog gone it in my case, every little bit of help was a gawd-send! Nuff’ said?! ;-)

LRG :cool:
See less See more
I too had a bright red 79 sporty 1000 and got lots of girl attention back then too. The good old days.
G
Heh-heh,"Good Old Days".... EXACTLY! :D

Just wanted to add too: there seemed nothing cooler (at least ways to ME anyways...) in all of motorcycling back when, then to take a Sporty up and down Pacific Coastal Highway 1 between Santa Barbara and Frisco, just like 'Then Came Bronson'..... Watch Cap and all! ;-) Was great fun when I was young(er). ;-)

LRG

I too had a bright red 79 sporty 1000 and got lots of girl attention back then too. The good old days.
This may be it. XR1200

See less See more
G
i just bought a 883 2007 needless to say It's my favorate fuel injected, v&h shorty pipes, damn thing runs like a bear! only have 175mi. on her so far. can't wait for summer!
I had a 1968 model I think it was 900cc. The bike was clean and reliable. Didn't leak oil and started on the first kick every time. Wish I had it now.
The 2008 105th Anniversary edition 1200 Custom
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.