Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dad passed, and left me his old 85 yamaha maxim x. it was drained and stored under a tarp behind the house ten years ago. ran fine when last run.
it has been a long time since I had a motorcycle, and am wondering what the first steps i take on it should be to get it up and running, and in a shape he would be proud of. its a little dirty and has a tear in the seat, but other than that it looks fine.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
First change the oil, check the tires for signs of cracking, add a new battery, and flush the brakes. Check the condition of the interior of the fuel tank for rust and sediment, clean if needed. Once that is complete, add some fresh fuel and see if it will fire up.

·
American Legion Rider
23,555 Posts
My first step would be to remove the plugs and if it has a kick start push down on it to determine if the engine will even turn over. If no kick start, put it in third gear and give it a push with the clutch out. Just try to see if it's froze. He could have parked it for a reason. Then you can go about fixing it. Flush tank and fuel lines, clean carb, new plugs and tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should i replace the spark plugs and injectors while im at it? i dont want any scoring or blockages in the engine if i can help it. it has been outside for years and i want to take every precaution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not to informed on this make or model of bike. is it a decent bike? Pop talked about it being the fastest thing on the road back in the day

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
So tell us about the gas tank. Take off the cap and determine what it smells like.
You can also gain some information on dansmc typed into a search engine. Good site that lets you learn to fix the older bikes. That site and the guys on here will help you out

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Ritous, does it look like this?

If so, I can tell you the bike is a LOT of fun. Mine thus far has been very reliable. We did have to clean the carbs on it but that was our own error. I have put about 4000 miles on mine and it has been trouble free. If yours has sat for a while you too will probably have to clean the gas tank & carbs, add a new battery and definitely get new tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts