Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad had introduced me to riding with tiny 50cc mopeds 2 years ago. He always tells me to wear a helmet, which I would have done regardless. He has his scooter, and he never wears his helmet or gear at all. He wears normal shoes, a sweatshirt, and depending on the weather jeans or shorts. I have asked him many times to wear at least a 3/4 helmet and boots, but he gets frustrated whenever I ask. The top speed of these bikes is about 35, so I get worried about other cars, not speed. It has been ingrained into my head to always wear gear, but he doesn't himself.

Either way, in a few years ill be moving and getting an actual bike. A few times he has went wide in the apex of turns and almost went head on into cars, so trying to get him in a habit now might save him later. It's almost humorous how this situation is. Normally younger riders are the ones not wearing gear, but this time its flipped.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A spill at 35 or even 10 mph can cause serious injury. The head still travels about the same distance to the ground regardless. There is likely to be less abrasive damage at lower speeds.

I'm not really sure how to convince someone to wear their gear once they know the facts about the consequences of crashing without it.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
my dad is the same with my trail 90, well kinda...I started with a cheap open face helmet but I now rie with a troy lee designs dot and snell approved close face MX helmet theat my dad refuses to wear, he often rides in pajamas and only crocks. and he wont wear my gloves im not old enough to ride street nor is my bike registered but im still concerned with my fathers safety.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not too sure he knows the risks of riding for 2 reasons.

1. Whenever I see a motorcycle and comment on it he always says how he doesn't care and will never own one.

2. Does not wear gear even after several close calls.

Even though it's a tiny 50cc scooter he rides, it still is a form of motorcycle. I think that because it's slow and a scooter, he thinks it's not dangerous.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
how old are you matty? maybe as you progress as a rider your dad will take your advice more seriously, im only 14 and ive only been riding for 2months or so he might not think I know enough to give advice

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im 17. I made a thread not too long ago about my motorcycle situation. But even if I am able to give advice and know enough, he won't listen. He is very stubborn. That's why I have to wait till i'm 18 to get my M1, because he'd cut up my license. He's a bit of an jerk when it comes to motorcycles, but for now I have to listen to him.

·
American Legion Rider
18,530 Posts
Parents can be and many times are the biggest hypocrites going. It's the do as I say, not as I do syndrome. You'll get frustrated trying to fight that battle so don't even try.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parents can be and many times are the biggest hypocrites going. It's the do as I say, not as I do syndrome. You'll get frustrated trying to fight that battle so don't even try.
I realize that, but if it's for his overall well being then I'm not sure why he wouldn't listen.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Matty, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Keep it. One thing I've learned (and it only took 53 years) is that you can't make someone do something regardless of the facts or consequences. It's just not going to happen. State your case, do what you can, but in the end, it's a matter of personal choice and responsibility. You can only be responsible for yourself and your actions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matty, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Keep it. One thing I've learned (and it only took 53 years) is that you can't make someone do something regardless of the facts or consequences. It's just not going to happen. State your case, do what you can, but in the end, it's a matter of personal choice and responsibility. You can only be responsible for yourself and your actions.
Thats true, and I see it first hand a lot. I saw this video on why you should just go out and do everything in secret. To keep it short, he basically said that you're born alone and you die alone. Everyone is on their own path, and if you just bring a bike home your family has to live with it. If they don't ride themselves, then they'll probably disapprove. If my parents can't accept or let me ride, that's their problem.

I didn't think much of him not being safe with gear until he almost went head on into a riced out truck. Then him crossing the double yellow in the apex of a turn just missing a lexus was just reinforcing my thought.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
I had the opposite discussion with my son when he started riding. None of his buddies wore helmets, but I insisted he did. My wife didn't really back me up on the issue either. Until one day I finally asked my son, (in front of my wife) what his preferences were for long term care if God forbid he had a head injury accident, and could no longer function on his own. Did he want to be put into a care facility, or would he prefer for his mother to quit her job to care for him until she died?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
...what his preferences were for long term care
Anyone who knows ANYONE --- friend, relative,...who has gone through TBI --- traumatic brain injury --- rehab ---- will always wear THEIR helmet.

Trickl your dad into going to a rehab center.... tell him you are visiting a friend and ask if he'll come along.....find a patient willing to (try) and talk to him about their injury. Even 10 years later, the deficits are still visible.

It's funny, the times I (would have) bonked my head have all been at low speed, under 10mph. And on a bicycle. And a helmet saved me from injury every time. A scooter IS a motor-cycle in all regards except top speed.

I seriously doubt you'll change his behavior, but you obviously are committed to trying. That's laudable, obviously you care deeply about his well being.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
The top speed of these bikes is about 35, so I get worried about other cars, not speed.
Just because you are not going highway speed, don't let that make you think it is safer. Watch this video at a crash test at 35mph. Do you think a human skull would fair any better than the front of the car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's funny, he always complains how he is cold when he rides. I tell him wearing a helmet will keep you warm, and he just ignores me. It's not like he has to go and buy another one, because there's another helmet besides the one I own. These are all good points, but some people you just can't change. When he wrecks, which will happen due to his carelessness, I'll throw it back into his face.

·
Very Famous Person
9,676 Posts
--

Matty,

One other thing you can talk about is how much you care for him and how it would hurt you so much if he were to get hurt. Suggest he explain why he wants you to be protected and show him that the same love he has for you is the love you have for him.

Don't lecture. Don't tell him what he has to do. You have no right to do that. Just explain what love means to you. He has to decide what to do for himself.

--

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't really plan on getting all lovey and that stuff, just trying to get across that with his luck a helmet might come in handy one day. Either way, with my talks about getting a MC failed, and I can guarantee this talk will too. Every time I try, he just gets on his lil scooter and goes. I guess that's a perk of my moped being a 2 stroke, catching up is no issue.

·
Very Famous Person
9,676 Posts
--

So you think your way is better than what I suggested? It hasn't worked so far, has it? So continue to do what doesn't work, but don't come here and ask for other ideas then.

--

1 - 20 of 31 Posts