Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I wish we could wake up to the sounds of a rapid, dancing river, or to the sun streaming over high mountains, but fate didn't treat us that way -- not on a school counselor's pay.... So we fixed fate, and have awakened next to hundreds of rivers, and have danced over hundreds of mountain passes. And we are suffused with happiness and satisfaction.... You can almost always change the quality of your life, almost always.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have to ask, did you rob a fully loaded armored truck or win the lottery to change your lot in life?

Nope. Divorced high school counselor, teacher pay schedule, and now retired (wife still works)..... bought a house (500 square feet) in 1989 for $37,500.... eleven years later, we added a wing (600 square feet), pounding every nail ourselves. We drive a 2002, 4 cylinder SUV with 160K on the ticker.... we don't drink, smoke, or eat out much... We hike, ski, and camp, and I pay for the skiing by serving on the Ski Patrol. We wear jeans and hiking shorts and fleece jackets and hiking boots year round. We think that the deciding factor was staying in our small house, which made us financially free enough to travel.... And camping.... we spend a lot of time in tents..... We spent 2 months in Europe our first trip, and not one night in a hotel, not one.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where was the 3rd picture taken, the one with the mountains and green grass and the church? So pretty, I love it!

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Congratulations! Beautiful pictures.

Jack don't fool yourself. It wasn't fate, It was you my friend, You made that happen.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The third picture is in Northern Italy, the South Tyrol, on our way to Stelvio Pass.... my wife shot it from the back of the bike while on the move....

@Muggs...... nothing wrong with the North Cascades.... we live in Ellensburg ourselves, and ride the North Cascade Highway at least once a year!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
thanks Jack - great pics. Your approach to life is outstanding.

not sure how you take your wife on those trips and never hit a hotel :)

keep up the great "work" !!!

dT

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Ellensburg

A few shots of Ellensburg would likely interest many folk here. Few will know about the town and area. No 30 who races at the WMRRA races lives in the area.
Hawk, he rides an SV650, and one bumped up to 750.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You know, as pointed out, the choice of a wife was instrumental in being able to live like we do, and I hit the absolute jackpot the second time around.... No touring motorcyclist should marry a spouse without taking a long tour with her first! Here are some pictures of her taken twenty years apart, the first two with our six year old on our first trip up the Alaskan Highway in 1992, and the others in a camp ground and bus station in Balzano, Italy, 2012. She has made it all possible, truly.... I've been blessed.

@Uncle Krusty.... you know, I don't have many pictures of my hometown... I'll try and cobble some up.....

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Home town.

At first I was thinking Leavonworth location, with their themed town.
Then I realized you are down the road a bit
There is a member from Spokane, and a few South of Seattle.
But if they have not gone East or West on I 90, or North or South on 97, they will have never been in your area.
I have been both ways. Also been over Stevens Pass many times.

Your words on the second time around ring true. Shirley and I are out on the sail boat for weeks at a time, and she is a great passenger. 6 years for us.
We actually first met about 40 years ago at the track. She was married at the time.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Cascades

Wow! Beautiful! All I get is the north Cascades, but I guess that ain't so bad.
Muggs, he is on the other side of the same bumps, and a bit further South.
You are on the wet and moderate side, and he is on the hot and dry and cold side. Jack is tucked into the hills a bit. Real sweet area.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts