Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
It made me wince. Aside from that, I still wouldn't buy it. Charge times are getting down to almost reasonable length, but there's still nowhere to charge it. You can't stray far from home on one of those.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Meh. My ZX9R with a bore kit is plenty fast and I like to hear the engine and exhaust notes when I pull the throttle. I'd like a newer ZX10R, but thats more for the fuel injection that anything else.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Call me when I can go further than 100 miles on a tank...

Practical? That thing is all dog and pony.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I like it. Aside from the price, they are showing that you can get more range and that you can get performance from electricity. We aren't there yet. But l believe that 5 or 10 years from now you will be able to go 250 miles on a charge, bikes will have a wide array of performance levels, and they will be somewhat reasonably priced.

As far as where to charge them, there are more and more charging stations for electric vehicles popping up here in western Washington, and many grocery stores and parking lots have front row parking spots with charging stations for electric cars.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
As far as where to charge them, there are more and more charging stations for electric vehicles popping up here in western Washington, and many grocery stores and parking lots have front row parking spots with charging stations for electric cars.
Ain't got NOTHING like that here in Maine. So, as it stands right now, it would be pretty much useless for me.

Also, I do not shop for two hours. I go in, grab what I need, pay for it, and GTFO! When it can recharge in the amount of time it takes me to do that, THEN maybe I might consider one.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Compare

$40,000- bike that will not get me from here to the track in Shelton WA as fast as my; $1,500- bike. Reason of course is the need to refill / charge.

If I do the I 5 route, I need one stop on the XS11. That takes about ten minutes to pull off the freeway and refuel, and get back on the freeway.

A few mods will get many current production bikes doing 214 mph. But really, who cares. Most current cruises top out at 125 or less. and that is fast enough.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Interesting Read My grandson might consider this one day but an old dinosaur like me no way ..

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Ain't got NOTHING like that here in Maine. So, as it stands right now, it would be pretty much useless for me.

Also, I do not shop for two hours. I go in, grab what I need, pay for it, and GTFO! When it can recharge in the amount of time it takes me to do that, THEN maybe I might consider one.
I absolutely agree, they are not yet to the place where they need to be in order for most of us to say, "Hmmm...that just might work!" However, when l look at how far they have come, l have to admit that l am pretty impressed. Just a few years ago l read an article about the first Zero. It was essentially a naked urban bike, and got something like 25 miles to a charge. So we have made great progress in a short time.

My friend's brother in law has a Tesla, and he was telling me that they have a great concept...they have charging stations near most cities, but if you are traveling a distance then for like $10 you can give them your dead battery and they will give you a fresh one and off you go. He said the Tesla gets something like 300 miles per charge. I don't know how accurate that information is. My point, though, is that there could be some great concepts in the future that change the way we travel.

·
American Legion Rider
23,692 Posts
Hey hawk, you say they have charging stations popping up in your area. Any idea how much the cost is to recharge? Someone surely must be trying to get rich there. And I wouldn't expect it to be free unless Al Gore is footing the bill because of his personal concern for Global warming caused by man.:p

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I think currently there are charging stations that are free, like at a local mall here. If you have to hang around long enough to get more than a few cents worth of charge, odds are that you are going to buy some stuff.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It made me wince. Aside from that, I still wouldn't buy it. Charge times are getting down to almost reasonable length, but there's still nowhere to charge it. You can't stray far from home on one of those.

That depends on the country you're in. Here, there are enough charging points that you can charge your bike when you need to.

But still, electric vehicles are a dead end. We don't have the raw materials to create enough batteries, and manufacturing batteries and destroying them when they're done pollutes as much as burning oil. The future of vehicles is in synthetic gasoline: gas created from carbon dioxide, water and sunlight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts