Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so it started when my bike fell off its sidestand onto the left side but all the damage was cosmetic so i picked it up and drove it home. the next day i went to ride it again and my chain was binding. i already know this is my own stupid fault for not properly lubing it, however after i got that all sorted out i had much worser problems. now it hits false neutrals between 2/3 3/4 4/5 etc... it wont stay in 2nd gear or any other gear unless i hold the shiftlever up as i let out the clutch, and sometimes it will still fall out of gear as i am driving regardless. I really need to know what is wrong with it. I cant figure out how falling on its side or a binding chain could cause all these false nuetrals! can someone please let me know what is going on?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Mileage too, would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Give your shift lever a good eyeballing. I suspect that it is bent. I had an old Kaw (82) that was bad about the bolt coming loose and the lever would kinda slide around on the shaft - just a mm will screw things up.

For that false neutral light - have a look at the sending unit, the point where the wiring ties on and the wiring itself and make sure nothing was pulled apart or torn apart.

So am I reading that the chain problem is not related to the tip over?

·
Wrench. Ride. Repeat.
239 Posts
Sounds like a bent shift fork...Hopefully, that's NOT the case. Check the slack for the cable to the clutch. Maybe it got a little loose. Is your chain too tight/too loose? How are the sprockets?
Good luck!:D

·
Paramedic
860 Posts
Sounds like a bent shift fork...Hopefully, that's NOT the case. Check the slack for the cable to the clutch. Maybe it got a little loose. Is your chain too tight/too loose? How are the sprockets?
Good luck!:D
I would guess the shift drum detent spring is broken/out of place. Or the detent itself is broken or out of place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a 99 r6 with about 30 000km..... about 18 000 miles. the shift lever broke about two inches off the end and i have adjusted the slack. I have searched on a few forums and other people have said the shift forks or detent spring. Any idea how the forks get bent? how hard is it to replace them?

·
Paramedic
860 Posts
its a 99 r6 with about 30 000km..... about 18 000 miles. the shift lever broke about two inches off the end and i have adjusted the slack. I have searched on a few forums and other people have said the shift forks or detent spring. Any idea how the forks get bent? how hard is it to replace them?
I would check the detent spring first. Replacing shift forks involves engine removal and case splitting:). Normaly hard riding and power shifting is how forks get bent. To check the detent remove the cover that the shift shaft sticks out of and you will see the drum and detent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone for all your help. i took off the cover and the detent spring was actually broken. :D
Sooooo happy i didnt have to replace the shift forks!!!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
shift-r-6,
have you done any extensive research into the R6 lately? The 99-02's are notorious for the 2nd gear slip. If you want I can get you a how-to on replacing the clutch assembly from an 03-05 bike. This is the only fix for this problem.

Edit: Sorry should have read your last post. I'm glad you found the problem. Still keep an eye out for this problem as well. Just a heads up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts