Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago we had a bit of a cold spell here in northern Illinois, with highs of the high 60's and I thought we had started an early fall. But then the warmth returned, and yesterday was about as beautiful a day for riding as anyone could ask for. High 70's, sunny skies and only moderate winds. Took a 60 mile ride to Monroe, WI and joined what seemed like a hundred bikes in the town square (had lunch at Pancho's and Lefty's, a small but fun spot to eat good food. It's a cash only place.) After lunch took an alternate route back to Rockford and that finished a great day of riding. If there is a better way to use up a half tank of gas I don't yet know about it. I'll keep riding until its cold enough to no longer be fun, which for me means when it gets below 40 F. Then its time for the stabilizer, rags in the pipes, and a hook up to the battery tender for another long cold winter in the garage.

·
8,606 Posts
Glad you had a good ride Vito---our days are numbered. It is starting to be chilly here in the mornings at about 55 or so. Yesterday on my ride, I started with a big thick Harley T-shirt, a long sleeve heavy work shirt, medium weight jacket, gloves and helmet and my favorite Bib-Overalls. By the time my 200+ miles was over, it was over 80 degrees and I'd shed the work shirt.

My Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster only has a little flyscreen, which does kill flies but doesn't stop much wind.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A windscreen can make a nice difference. I bought my Thunderbird with the Quick Release Roadster screen on it, a fairly large but narrow windscreen. Recently I upgraded it to a Clearview screen which is cut to fit the Roadster hardware. It is longer on the bottom, wider and has a re-curve at the top. So although the screen top is lower than the Triumph screen, allowing me to look over it rather than through it, wind noise and buffeting are reduced significantly (and even more so for my wife as passenger). Cruising around town at low speeds is fine without a windscreen, but on the highway at any speed of 55 or higher I think a good windscreen or fairing is essential. You might look into upgrading that little screen on your Rocket, it would make a world of difference.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
It's time to put the saddlebags on so I can either carry clothes or have a place to put them. Still, it's great to get out and see the fall colors as they happen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here in the California Sacramento Valley area we're spoiled and get to ride most all year, especially the last 4 years with hardly any rain! On the coldest days I can usually still ride, just need to layer up and plug in the electric glove liners. On the other hand when it gets over 100 degrees in the summer I usually don't bother riding.

-Bill

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
40's here in the mornings lately. My low riding limit is 45 degrees. Furnace has kicked on a few times. Might be a good idea to fire up the wood stove, but not until I have time to babysit the fire.

High's in the 70's, so no real major shifts. Not much at all in the way of rain lately, but we could have a couple of days this week for some. Otherwise, we've had plenty of "riding" days (without rain, that is).

-Soupy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts