Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Oooh I need it! A brand new example of my dream bike!

*Looks at price.* Uh...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think at those prices its a good bike for a guy like Jay Leno to add to his collection.
I don't think I could bring myself to buy something like that and just use it as my regular ride.
It should be kept pristine, even if its just a Honda.

I remember those bikes well, a buddy of mine had a brother with one back in the day.
I think he lost his somehow to a flood or something down in Louisiana back then.

I had spent some time as a tech instructor in the 90's for an engine manufacturer, the one vocational school we used twice a year had
one of those and a CX650 new in the crate like that. I tried my best to get hold of them but there was no paper work and no serial numbers on the bikes.
Honda had made sure they could never been ridden or tagged in several ways. They drilled 3/4" holes in the engine cases and drilled out the spark plug holes too large to fix.
The sprockets had several teeth ground down and the fuel tanks were drilled or had holes cut in them so they couldn't ever hold gas.
There were still a ton of parts and I'm sure ways around the no vin issue but back then it just wasn't worth it and they wouldn't take the chance of getting caught letting one out of their possession. I suppose by now they junked them, they had already dropped their Honda training program there at that time. Even the company I was with no longer uses that facility. I often wondered if they just took them to the junk yard or if they dismantled them right there. Both had been uncrated and assembled several times over from what I was told. With over 20 years under the bridge so to speak, any course they were good for has long since become obsolete with the advent of fuel injection on bikes in the past 10 years or so.
They also had Yamaha training there, they weren't as strict with their parts. I still have a few spare parts here and there that followed me home after they dropped that program. Those were just tossed in the dumpster one day after closing. I brought home the better part of an unnumbered FZR1000. Over the years the motor became a go cart, (retrofitted into one of those Chinese Honda Pilot copies and the rest got used or traded off here and there. I think I still have a few extra sets of Yamaha carbs and a bunch of unknown engine parts in the garage. They had both FZR 600 and 1000 models there and a few XJ models as well.
It was a public school run facility, but various manufacturers would run both their dealer training programs there as well as hold brand specific vocational training for future techs. I was involved in heavy trucks and equipment then, not bikes but it was the bike parts that I kept an eye out for in the dumpsters each night.
When mechanical shredders became more common, I was told that they installed one there to dispose of all parts and paperwork so it didn't get scrounged out of the dumpsters after work and wind up on someone's bike or on eBay.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
That's just sad. It's like a toy that's still in the package and has never been played with.

That being said, it would be cool for a museum to get it and display it, maybe as is?

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Maybe. With exceptions to this listing**, the CBX is one of those classic bikes that haven't yet hit collector status.

I'd take it, "unbox" it, build it, and ride it. I wouldn't make it a daily, but it would definitely be a cherished machine that I'd both love to stare at and ride.

**Sad reality is that if you do anything with this bike other than leave it as is you'll be basically setting money on fire. There's a good chance the new owner will hide the bike away until the CBX reaches collector status then walk away with some fat profit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts