Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - new to this forum and seeking help to fix a boneheaded move I made recently with my BMW R1200R.

I was talking with a friend next to my bike and at one point placed my backpack on the ground leaning against the exhaust.

Stupid me - I didn't pick it up before starting the engine. I noticed after a minute or two but it was too late. A portion of the backpack and burned/melted to the exhaust:

Auto part Vehicle Rust Bumper Pipe

So ... anyone have a recommendation on how to the parts that are now burned and adhered to the exhaust?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
typo in last sentence. Supposed to read:

So ... anyone have a recommendation on how to *remove* the bits that are now burned and adhered to the exhaust?

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Try Easy-Off oven cleaner, but don't get it on the paint. Just apply it to the pipes using a rag. Let it sit a while then rub it off. Wear gloves and make sure you have lots of ventilation or do it outside. That stuff is toxic.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,507 Posts
Problem with easy off it is designed for organics. Where it is it will burn off and wont even know it was ever there eventually.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
^^^What Eye said, it works.^^^

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
First I use a simple penny to chip the big stuff off. Then a put a bunch of GOJO hand cleaner on what's left. Let it sit a minute, then just start rubbing around the stuff with one finger. I don't know what all is in that stuff but it has gotten my rain gear off that touched before I got some that had stuff that was supposed to be melt proof and even it melts on these hot darn pipes. But it all comes off using GOJO or the cheaper version of it. They both work. I thought the pumice in it would scratch but apparently the chrome is harder or the fact I'm just using one finger and just swirling around until all the burned stuff is gone keeps the pumice from scratching. Might have to apply multiple slathering coats but it works and works well. Plus you get you finger clean.:grin:

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
[/B] 0000 Steel Wool and a little WD-40 for lubrication. Takes a little elbow grease too, but works on most burned on stuff.[/B]
This has worked for me for Years and not saying are not other methods but until see the need to try another will stick with this one .. Only thing will add is I is make sure use 0000 Fine Steel Wool they do have pretty coarse Steel Wool which might possibly Scratch ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts