Motorcycle Forum banner

Extremely Low Idle After Putting Carbs In

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Nate871 
#1 ·
So my bike V twin was running at a regular idle prior to my shenanigans...
I wanted to balance my carbs so I needed to take the vacuum screws out, one was managed easily and the other went to $#!* so I had to partially remove the carb (Only partially because I didn't know what I was doing and didn't take the throttle linkage off or the cable that controls the compression to both) Finally after using a hack saw to get the screwdriver something to grab I get the vacuum screw out and reinstall the carbs and air filters.

After doing this, I try to start the bike up and it was trying but no dice.

So attempt number two I pull out the choke and it starts.. but at full choke it is running at a low idle and when I push the choke in the idle literally sounds like I'm slowly chugging a beer...

I'm thinking the problem has to do with me throwing the throttle and compression cables out of whack as no other adjustments were made to the bike.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Nate

#4 · (Edited)
Ha!

Ok, the one Intruder I've worked on was about to years newer, but the throttle cable system also controlled the throttle sync. If that's true with yours I wonder if one cable didn't get put back EXACTLY as it was, it could cause one or more cylinders to idle lower.

We have some good pro mechanics here, hopefully someone will have a bit more exact info about this.

Edit:

If you have a split cable system you need to split the cable and verify the rear cable ends are even as shown.

#5 ·
Yeah I think not doing the above was my mistake that threw everything out... I ignorantly thought you stretch the cable and thread it through the small gap... after that not working I decided it wasn't the way to go. My thought now is that I somehow stretched them out of the idle setting and will tighten them up to standards. I'll head out and verify the system, but when reading the manual after (of course) there was something of this sort that was supposed to be unclipped before removing the carbs.

#7 ·
Ya, you have to disconnect the throttle cable as above to remove the carbs. Go over the carb sync section of your manual and hopefully that will get you on your way.

I did the same thing before I read the book and figured that out.

#8 ·
I hope it will be smooth sailing after putting these cables back in spec..

But for the sake of efficiency, could anything else cause such a severe drop in RPM? Maybe a vacuum from not sealing air filter boxs to the carbs.. just throw some ideas out my way if something else also could cause the issue.

I appreciate it, cmonSTART

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.