Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never carried extra fuel and have only been concerned once that I would maybe need a little bit more. Fortunately I didn't though.

I did just buy some MSR bottles to take along since the wife's bike doesn't go as far on a tank as mine. Just wondering if people that carry extra fuel and don't use it a lot, do you put stabilizer in it or just try and remember to use it up every so often. I am not concerned about it over a few months because it will never have corn liquor in it.

I know Rollin' carries extra, but I'm guessing his never sits in the jug for more than a few days.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
When I travel and carry extra fuel, it's either used because I had to use it or it gets used in the last tank full before getting back to home. So I don't put stabilizer in it. No real need to.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
I would consider it if I was going to travel out west or where there would be a long distance between fuel stops. But so far anywhere I travel has gas stations easily within the range of pretty much any tank.
Otherwise I would do as Hog does, use it at last stop so it isn't just sitting.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I've been thinking of getting one or two of the MSR bottles just for heading across the Sandhills. My plan was to empty the bottles at the end of the riding season if I haven't used them. The gas will be good for that long.

For peace of mind, Stabil could be added when filling the bottles in the Spring but it's likely not necessary.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a tendency to forget things when I don't use them. I do get 91 octane real gas so I am not worried about it going bad in a few months, and I can always dump it in the lawn mower.

I just bought two 30 MSR bottles on Amazon for $20 apiece with free shipping, thought that was a good price since Cabela's wants more than that for the small ones.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Amazon beats eBay once again. Sure do have to watch that little rip off place.:)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I've never encountered a situation where I'd need extra fuel bottles. Nebraska, Dakota, Arizona, West Texas, New Mexico, and so forth, and I mean most of it on back roads away from the highways. Yeah, you have to be aware of what's ahead and how far you plan on going, and sometimes you might stop and fill up before you really need to, but as long as you're aware of your ride and what you're doing you'll be okay.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Depends on when you travel too Eye. Some of these towns close shop when the sun goes down. If you start at mid-night to beat the heat, you can get into real trouble. Fast.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Depends on when you travel too Eye. Some of these towns close shop when the sun goes down. If you start at mid-night to beat the heat, you can get into real trouble. Fast.
I agree. More than a few times I have used my spare gasoline in a gas station parking lot!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Yeap. That's kind of what I meant by indicating you have to be aware of what you're doing and where you're riding and so forth. If I was just riding hell-for-leather from El Paso to Butt Fugg along back roads and not paying attention to what I was doing, then you betcha I'd tote an extra fuel bottle or three.

And other then maybe going for something to eat, we're seldom on the road after dark when we're out riding away from home.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my two bottles today, decided it was a good deal so I ordered two more.

What happened to us was one day we were out in the sandhills of Nebraska on back blacktop roads in areas where people have to drive 10 miles just to get to their mailboxes. We were down to what I guessed was 40 miles left on my bike when the low fuel light came on. We decided then to head straight to the nearest town that was about 30 miles away. When we got about 10 miles from town, the state decided it was a good time to close the road for bridge repair and that we would have to turn around or take gravel. Took gravel for a few miles and came to a broken up blacktop road that I thought may be a driveway. Turned out that it did make it's way to town, but when we got there, my light was no longer flashing, it was telling me that I had less than a mile left before I had to push. On the wife's bike, the light was flashing, and I had no idea how much farther she could go. I do know that you can put more into an empty tank than the spec says will fit.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Yep. I put 5.2 gallons in a 5 gallon tank once. And I knew I was on fumes and I didn't have my spares that time. Too darn close.:D

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Agree.........if I'm on the Apache Trail in Arizona, I'd likely think of having a small bottle (1 gallon jug?) along with me.........IF........I had a place to keep it safely.

One of the changes I experienced even as recently as last night, was not having a passenger backrest, from which to secure my small travel bag. I even have to go back to the Dealership where they are holding it for me, today, to pick it up!!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Let the mods begin!!! Fun times ahead making it "yours".

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I've already (I can tell, after 37 years) made the wife depressed by my decision to "buy" and go in debt, so I doubt the "mods" will be anytime soon!! She knows (as she said yesterday) that I had "always wanted a Harley, and now I have one" but still........doesn't help me enjoy it emotionally.

Don't need "buyers remorse" to dampen the already sticky, rainy air around here today.

-Soupy

·
8,579 Posts
Soupy, see if you can get a Harley accessories catalog and be put on their mailing list. Being probably the most popular and well known bike in the world, parts and accessories are everywhere.

In 1991, my first add-on, was a beautiful Harley Davidson shield, Tattoo on my right shoulder. That Mod alone was worth maybe 10 Horsepower at least in my mind.:wink:

I have traveled all over the U.S. by myself and with others and fuel can be a real problem. You always have to think of the rider that has the smallest tank and fuel accordingly. Never assume that the next town will have fuel and that you can make it there on fumes. When touring in unknown areas, we always filled up when we had 1/2 a tank left. Like was said, some little towns just close up at 6-7 pm and that's no fun for a rider that is out of gas. (Find a local resident and buy gas from them if possible.)

On the way back from Southern Calif last September, I was driving my Pickup and decided to not do the Interstate 40 thing going back so I went through Phoenix and took roads leading towards Show Low and Apache country, ending up going through Socorro and spending the night in Santa Rosa, NM right on I 40. This stretch of road was one of the most beautiful I'd ever seen but lots of the little communities and small towns had stations that were either out of business or closed and the next town was 50 miles through the mountains. I was fine in my cage but I had almost taken my new 2012 Goldwing and just thinking about the lack of stations and vast areas with nothing but cattle made me glad I didn't take it. Conversely, the area also had some of the worst rain and flooding in recent history. Lots of areas on I 40 had flash flood water flowing across the lanes for miles, all the way from Amarillo to Albq, NM.

Don't take a Sportster with the 2.5 gallon 'peanut' tank on a tour of the Midwest-west or you'll be sorry!;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts