Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 Suzuki VL800. With stock exhaust, im looking to get a new exhaust. Can someone provide me with some information and or links? I don't want to spend too much but want a louder rumble and won't ever drill my baffles etc. I heard of slip on exhaust but can't seem to find any online for some reason... What do they run price wise? And how do they sound? In comparison of whatnot.

Thanks guys looking forward to some replies!

mBuck

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
slip-ons around $300
complete pipes around $700
drilled out baffles priceless

I had a '91 750 Intruder, after my brother died it sat for yrs and I finally gave it away. All the guy did for sound was drill out the baffles and it sounded great.

On youtube there is one comparing (before/after) Kawasaki 900(which I currently have) drilled out stock vs his new exhaust, the tone was the same the new exhaust was a little louder(hard to tell how loud on video)......I wouldn't discount something because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

If you're getting new exhaust anyway, why not drill out the stock and see if it will save you money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey anybike, or anyone. Does anyone have a tutorial and or video on how todo the baffle route? Will I have to do anything afterwards like retuning or whatnot? Also will this mess anything up long term?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I see if the cobra exhaust with that link. I've searched and searched on Google and cannot find a slip on Vance or slip on jardine exhaust at all.. Can someone possibly help me with this? And does anyone know the differnence between cobra, jardine, and Vance slip ons sound etc wise? I've never heard of cobra ever so I'm just not sure and haven't been able to locate the others ! :( please help!

Thanks guys! It's much appreciated thanks for all the advice!

·
6,501 Posts
"Can someone possibly help me with this?"

Dude, it looks to me like everyone is trying but you:biggrin:

Here is a great Volusia and Suzuki cruiser forum, just a Google search and click away:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http://www.volusiariders.com/&ei=y_hNVc_uO4_hoATX3IHQDg&usg=AFQjCNGPPx8iaVsLD0zcwbUoXPjK6EaY6g&sig2=-md1Ur2HRaweXFN5TrZtuA&bvm=bv.92885102,d.aWw

If you choose, join the forum and then ask questions!

Those little Suzuki's like you have do respond well to just drilling the exhaust.

With just a slip on alone or maybe even the full, expensive exhaust (I like Vance and Hines) all you would get is sound anyway and very negligible increases in torque and HP.

Sam:biggrin:

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Tutorial on drilling out baffles:

A. pull trigger on drill.

B. lean business end of said drill against aforementioned baffle.

Dude... if you're thinking of changing mufflers, there is no reason to not at least try drilling.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey anybike, or anyone. Does anyone have a tutorial and or video on how todo the baffle route? Will I have to do anything afterwards like retuning or whatnot? Also will this mess anything up long term?
Use a bi-metal hole saw and excise only the rear baffle, it'll sound light years better than punching out both baffles.

Hole saw diameters may vary but here's how we do it on the Shadows:
http://vlxriders.20m.com/holeyorder.html

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
On many of the newer bikes on any given brand the mufflers are 1/2 of the problem for those who seek out that rumble sound they desire. Most of the problem starts with the OE head pipe. The design is inconsistent with flow usually and very restrictive. Why settle to be cheered up wasting $300 on aftermarket mufflers when you can get a nice smile with aftermarket headers.

For those of you who live in a noise restriction state and have inspections, you can simply pull the baffles and wrap them to quiet them up some more. I'm personally a baffle's out kind of person, then again over 50% of riders I see out on the road are baffle's out type of people too as there are no noise restrictions and inspections for motorcycles in my state. You're not really gaining much sound spending $300 on new mufflers. I bust through my baffles when I had my stock pipes on but left end tips intake to keep the original look. anyway after busting through 4 restriction walls and tearing the cat's out of both mufflers, the sound was slightly louder and deeper vs one of my friends $300 aftermarket mufflers. It's those head pipes which restrict alot of flow. The price for a complete cobra speedster exhaust was well worth it for me, no regrets here, just more smiles every time I fire up the engine.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Take this opinion for what it's worth, if all you want is more noise than go cheap with the drill. If you want better sound along with better performance get the full exhaust including head pipes and a proper tuning to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I went the route that shadow suggested and used the hole saw and drilled out the rear where the baffle is on the pipe, however the baffle won't come out entirely and seems to be connected or secured further down in the pipe... Any
Advice on how to get this damn thing out? Thanks!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ok so I went the route that shadow suggested and used the hole saw and drilled out the rear where the baffle is on the pipe, however the baffle won't come out entirely and seems to be connected or secured further down in the pipe... Any
Advice on how to get this damn thing out? Thanks!!
Did the baffle spin once you got through with the hole saw? On the Shadows there are two welds that you need to cut through before it can be freed...there's a slight gap between them. You probably need to drill some more. Once the baffle spins with the hole-saw a set of pliers will excise them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are these welds at the rear of the pipe or in the middle? Because the rear is totally
Cleared and the baffle running out of the rear is totally clear 360degrees around it. Something further up the pipe seems to be holding it still... The hole saw is now just spinning around the baffle. How go I free it from the welds to totally
Remove it?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Your baffle design may differ. Try using a smaller hole saw to get inside it, just bore out the baffle until you can see what is connecting it. In other words, get a hole saw that will excise the individual baffle plates. It probably has an inner pipe that connects it to the front baffle that may need cutting via that diameter hole saw.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Breaking the welds inside (depending on bike's exhaust) require more and much more elbow grease. When I wanted a louder rumble I used a whole saw to drill through center baffle walls. Total of 4 walls to get through. I also used a rebar that I sharpened and hammered it dead center to help hole saw line up. Used a heavy 1" landscape bar to bash through them and back to rebar to hammer even more. Tore the cats out with the hole saw once through that side of pipe's baffle walls (took mufflers off to work on inner baffles). Kept the end tips in tacked and didn't break them off. In the end i opened up a 1" hole for exhaust to flow better through and gained a rumble slightly deeper then a $300 aftermarket muffler (keep in mind I have a big bore engine) so depth of tone will differ on smaller engines always.

In the end as to I along with many others who have done this baffle mode, we all succumbed to wanting even more loudness and better rumble. I always had it planned to buy aftermarket pipes since the day I went to the dealer and pay for my new bike to take home. The satisfaction came in for the sound achievement when I bought the complete exhaust and removed the baffle with simple ease from those pipes. There are some people who think my pipes are too loud and that they don't want it that loud, putting the baffle back in will tone it down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts