Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Heritage Softail Classic, it still has stock exhaust.
Suggestions on some slip on Mufflers that will fit existing exhaust that have that "Glasspack Sound"?? ( But not TOO Loud)
Thoughts? Of course cost is a concern also,
Thanks for your help!!
Ed

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A friend of mine has the Screaming Eagle Nightstick. It gives a classic sound and is adjustable as to how much noise it makes.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Rush Slip Ons are reasonably priced and Not overly loud ..

·
8,592 Posts
Go to YOUTUBE and type in "Harley Davidson exhaust systems" and you will see examples of many kinds and you can hear what they sound like.

My last HD big twin Dyno winner, after much testing ended up with a 'THUNDERHEADER,' a two into one system that sounds like a small block Chevy with headers when on the boil but has just a nice rumble around town.

Make sure you re-jet your carb for the pipe you end up with: Take the carb off if you can't do it and take it to the HD service dept and they will be able to make the modifications very quickly and easily if you can't do it yourself.

And the answer to your un-mentioned question is it will not give you better mileage for one simple reason: You will from that time forward 'blip' the throttle whenever you can to hear that sweet poetry that only a Harley can produce and everytime you do that, the accelerator pump squirts maybe 1 mile per gallon into the atmosphere to help global warming.:biggrin:

PS: A Ducati with "cans" sounds almost as good!!!!!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Thunderheaders are quite loud. Just the plain Screaming Eagles are quiet to me until you get on them but still not loud at all. I do think Rush has a deeper tone or the ones I've heard are burned out. Not sure there.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Performance wise, I think Thunderheaders are probably the best off the shelf exhaust system you can get for Harley's. Might not be the prettiest, and if you're looking for slip-ons, certainly not the cheapest. I keep waiting to come across a used pipe set that's not too expensive.

For nice sounding slip-ons, another company in addition to those mentioned is Von Braun. About the same price as Vance and Hines, but a nice sound, good performance, and a nice look.

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
Very difficult to get a true representation of an exhaust sound from youtube. Unless the sound was recorded with very good mic's that can withstand the pressure of a loud exhaust, the lousy mic's on a phone or camera just can't reproduce a true sound. Then there is the question of speakers.

Taking the carb off and going to the dealer for a re-jet seems like a lot time wasted and money needlessly spent if only doing slip-on's. And there are lots of video's on youtube to show how to change jets. Doubtful a re-jet is necessary with just slip-on's, full on headers with A/C change a different story. I prefer to make a jet change and then go for a test ride, best way to tell if it's right.

My brother has a Ducati, sounds bad-ass, just not the Harley sound. But it does blow my Harley in the weeds when it comes to performance and handling.

·
8,592 Posts
The tuners rule of thumb has always been to go to the next size main jet, raise the needle one notch as a start and then take a plug reading. This is especially important if the bike gets a high performance air cleaner at the same time.

Here's the caveat: Letting more air in and exhaust out leans the amount of fuel used in proportion to the air flow: Older slip on pipes were in many instances just minimally baffled straight pipes, which required re-jetting but due to the heightened EPA regulations, the pipe manufacturer's have been forced into making their pipes much more restrictive and flow much less air. In many instances ,not really requiring re-jetting if the air cleaner is left stock, in order to become compliant with NOISE regulations; It is at this time and has been for the last 30+- years been illegal to alter any STOCK tuning parameter, as in timing, intake or exhaust. (Read the stickers on your bike or read the owners manual under 'Emissions.'

Enforcement is hit and miss but in some areas, folks are being ticketed and told to return their bikes to stock condition.

The stock 40mm Keihin Carb on the Harley's before fuel injection are very simple in operation and I have jetted sooooo many bikes.

Remember this: Noise does not equate to Horsepower at all---topic of another lecture---I mean discussion:biggrin:

The manufacturers are no longer able to get away with selling their LOUD exhaust systems for street bikes by printing the usual disclaimer: "These pipes are for off road use only." (And yes we stock them for your Electra Glide because we know you only use the touring bike in the dirt.) Law preempts silly little illegal phrases every time.;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
An idea is to go to the local Harley dealer on a Saturday and listen to the other bikes with after market exhaust and find the ones that sound best to you then ask the owners about them, assuming your dealer is like mine where many owners congregate on the weekend.

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
Noise may not equate directly to horsepower gain but, most horsepower gains derived from a change in the exhaust system, has as a by-product a generally louder sound. I'm not aware of a factory stock exhaust system on a race car or bike, it's usually one of the first changes made.

·
8,592 Posts
Rebeldog1, that's a great idea. Even on week days, my local HD dealers has lots of bikes in and out of there, even the little Sportsters;)

All parts have to work in harmony together to achieve the optimal gain. There s a word for this relationship:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/symbiosis

I have entered and attended many dyno shoot-outs and it's hilarious to see riding buddies have their bikes tested just to shut one of their own up about how much HP his bike makes since he put the straight pipes on---result, every time: A stock 1340cc, 80 CI Evo engine usually puts out maybe, if healthy, 50 HP to the rear wheel. The bragging bud's bike puts out 45 Horsepower:biggrin: Torque is really down on the straight pipe bike because there is NO back pressure at all to keep half of the intake charge from just flowing out of the exhaust valve.

Lots of high end cars now are putting out 300 to 450hp out of turbocharged, 4 cylinder gas engines and up to 650+- on the V6, V8 and V12's and they are whisper quiet.

Having said all of this, I like my Harley's LOUD---but tuned. I'm very seriously thinking about buying a little 2013-15, Sportster 1200 Custom, fat tired toy right now:biggrin:

Sam:71baldboy:

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
I'm very seriously thinking about buying a little 2013-15, Sportster 1200 Custom, fat tired toy right now:biggrin:
Lots of high end cars now are putting out 300 to 450hp out of turbocharged, 4 cylinder gas engines and up to 650+- on the V6, V8 and V12's and they are whisper quiet.

Of course most turbocharged engines are much quieter than a naturally aspirated engine, that turbo acts like a muffler. High horsepower naturally aspirated engines will have a great sound and usually much louder than the turbo engine. I do like to hear that waste-gate sound now and then, but still prefer the sound of high HP V8's sans turbo.

Why do you insist on casting aspersions on the Sportster? They may be little but only when compared to those land yacht's you must prefer. Many of us prefer to ride a well balanced, decent handling bike that isn't in the 800 to thousand pound weight category.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
*sighs* it must be so nice to be able to change your exhausts... I have a gorgeous set of Hard Krome DDs for my V-Star that I simply can't install without getting fined up the ying yang :(

·
8,592 Posts
Tobacco road---try reading the post. Look at the last sentence in my last post. DUH. A few years ago, I sold my almost brand new 2005 883R Sporty and I wish I still had it.:wink::icon_

Did the comment about the bikes at my HD dealer and even the little sportsters hit a tender nerve somehow? Is it because you ride the little Sportster? I guess for your sake I'll start calling it the BIG sportster:biggrin:

PS: I love Sportsters---even though they are little.:71baldboy:

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
Tobacco road---try reading the post. Look at the last sentence in my last post. DUH. A few years ago, I sold my almost brand new 2005 883R Sporty and I wish I still had it.:wink::icon_

Did the comment about the bikes at my HD dealer and even the little sportsters hit a tender nerve somehow? Is it because you ride the little Sportster? I guess for your sake I'll start calling it the BIG sportster:biggrin:

PS: I love Sportsters---even though they are little.

You ask if your comment about bikes at your HD dealer hit a nerve? Hardly. I was taught to hold my tongue when someone gives an easy opening for repartee, so I will do so.

I can read my friend, and it matters little that you regret selling your Sportster and are now considering the purchase of another. You still could not resist the belittling comments. I've been called every name in the book for riding a Sportster, usually by Harley riders, others never seem to have a problem.

I appreciate you trying to tweak me with snide comments that you mistake for being clever. The people who are never think of trying to be.

·
8,592 Posts
Part of being CLEVER is learning how to spell my friend::wink:

"The people who are never think of trying to be." Your parting statement.:)

I love your big Sporty okay!!!!!!:71baldboy:

Smile and be happy and also be secure in your decisions in life.:biggrin:

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
Perhaps you cannot understand what I wrote. The parting statement obviously went over your head. I misspelled nothing so what is your point? Aside from trying your best to be relevant. Keep trying, no more comments from this side.

·
8,592 Posts
No one can understand what you wrote but I can tell you how to fix it:biggrin:

Let's just end this little play on words in a positive manner and move on.:p

Sorry if you took offense.;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts