Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
old school was new school once
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I don't know why I didn't think of this before!

My exhaust was changed to aftermarket pipes before I even bought the bike. I'm pretty sure that they're pretty high flow pipes. They sound pretty deep. (should I say "pretty" again? :tongue: ) I am going to run straight pipes (for sound not performance) so I was going to re jet the carbs of course, but the bike runs REALLY well right now. I was on the freeway doing 65mph in 5th and I still was able to jump up to 80mph in seconds. Is it safe to assume my carbs have already been re jetted? How could I check without having to get into too much work and disassembly? Why order a kit and pay to have it done if it's already been done ya know?

I don't have the sellers # anymore and even if I did, he spoke Russian and very little English.

1996 honda magna vf750

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
The pipes have been jetted to match the pipes currently on your bike. if you go to straight pipes, you may have to rejet them.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
STOP WASTING YOUR TIME ON ME AND GO TO BED! LOL

RE re-jet them or adjust the current re jet????

I'm thinking I could do my exhaust now, then take it to a shop to get it adjusted if need be. maybe?

I don't want to pay for un-neccesary work but I deifinitely don't want to pay for un neccesary repairs because I didnt get the propper work done first lol!!!

heads or tails you call it I flip it! lol

·
Paramedic
860 Posts
Ok so I don't know why I didn't think of this before!

My exhaust was changed to aftermarket pipes before I even bought the bike. I'm pretty sure that they're pretty high flow pipes. They sound pretty deep. (should I say "pretty" again? :tongue: ) I am going to run straight pipes (for sound not performance) so I was going to re jet the carbs of course, but the bike runs REALLY well right now. I was on the freeway doing 65mph in 5th and I still was able to jump up to 80mph in seconds. Is it safe to assume my carbs have already been re jetted? How could I check without having to get into too much work and disassembly? Why order a kit and pay to have it done if it's already been done ya know?

I don't have the sellers # anymore and even if I did, he spoke Russian and very little English.

1996 honda magna vf750
It isn't always necessary to re-jet a bike after installing after market pipes. Install your straight pipes and take the bike for a spin. If it runs fine, doesn't pop on decel or blue the pipes then leave well enough alone and let it be.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats where I've been leaning. I mean even if I need the carbs rejetted, they are going to need to know what to re jet them for.

If I go carb then exhaust I will most likely need to do the carbs again to match the exhaust.

If I go exhaust then carbs, it takes our the redundant carb work but risks damaging the valves till I do the jests.

I'm thinking I will do half the exhaust. Front two pipes, because they need the least work. (bending,welding, removal etc...). Then the back pipes and jets 2nd

·
Banned
4,400 Posts
Just some wild and crazy thought...
Have you inspected your spark plugs????

They, will tell you if you need to re-jet. :wink:

Eric :)

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just some wild and crazy thought...
Have you inspected your spark plugs????

They, will tell you if you need to re-jet. :wink:

Eric :)
Well I haven't done any work to the bike myself yet. So no. What would I be looking for?

·
Registered
419 Posts
(in a thick Russian accent) You should be lookin` for brown. If the plug is as brown as a Siberian Brown bear, than you are all good. If the plug is as white as the snow in the motherland, you need more Vodka for the carburetor. If the plug is blackish, you are running as rich as the Rachmaninoff's

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ha ha So in engrish: brown=not enough fuel (re jet). white=correct fuel (already been re jetted). black= too much fule (already been rejetted but needs to be adjusted)? sound about right?

·
Banned
4,400 Posts
NO!!!
Amber is the color you want. :thumbsup:
White is when you are too lean and burning a hole in your piston :thumbsdown:
Black is way too rich and washing down the cylinders. :frown:

Eric

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Woops I knew that. Some how I jumbled up the colors. :smiley_mornincoffee

Next time draw a picture lol.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
(in a thick Russian accent) You should be lookin` for brown. If the plug is as brown as a Siberian Brown bear, than you are all good. If the plug is as white as the snow in the motherland, you need more Vodka for the carburetor. If the plug is blackish, you are running as rich as the Rachmaninoff's
+reps for that one! That was funny as hell!

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't pulled them yet. Acute tonselitis and broke a tooth. Been on vicaden, Valium and an asortment of throat meds.

·
448 Posts
Hey skyler, another way to tell if your bike was never rejetted with the new exhaust is whether or not get any popping on decel.When I put my drag pipes on my 01 750 Shadow I would get a pop pop pop on decelleration. Once I rejetted , no more pop. If you have no popping on decel and your plugs look good then maybe the po did rejet...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts