Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1985 CB650sc that I am fairly happy with. The bike runs well although it does have a leaky carb which I plan to fix in the future. The bike is mostly stock - although it does have an aftermarket part here and there - and is cosmetically not the most beautiful thing in the world.

The bikes pipes are not in the best of condition and have some weird stains in them. I would ideally love to get the re-chromed or powder coated - but I also don't want to invest more money then the bike is worth. I was thinking of taping the headers with black exhaust tape to cover the cosmetic issues - but am concerned about keeping more heat "in" the bike since it is an air cooled bike (and in Las Vegas...). Would this be OK or not a wise decision on my part?

As for the tank, and some of the other chrome parts - I was thinking Plasti Dip. That way - if it looked horrible i could always peal it off. I have been reading as much as I can about it but am still concerned of the high wear of the tank. Has anyone had experience with this product? Is applying a turtle wax enough to keep the scuffs off the Plasti dip - or would I be better off with a "Rattle can"....Although I am very hesitant to go down that route...

Anyways - let me know your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
While I'm not a fan of exhaust wrap, I can understand how it may be cosmetically preferable to the look of aging pipes. It will only hold heat in the exhaust gases, not in the engine; sometimes, this is a good thing, as hotter gasses travel faster, and allow the exhaust to exit more easily.

As far as Plasti Dip, I have no personal experience, but some of the guys on the Solstice Forum have used it to create temporary racing stripes. Most of those guys are very anal about appearance, so I think I would have read if they were now cursing the stuff. Just clean the area well, so you can peel it off clean, if need be.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice WintrSol. Are there any other cleaners/paints that I am missing for the exhaust? I would love to keep the chrome - but - I dont like the condition of the chrome now. It looks un-cared for. Where at least with the tape and some new paint it would give a sharper look.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
If it is badly pitted, there's not much you can do. But, for lightly pitted chrome, meaning small spots with rust blooming around them, I've had good luck with Bluemagic metal polish cream; it does a good job of polishing off the rust stains, and seals the pits with a film. For exhaust, though, the heat rapidly causes the film to evaporate, but for other chrome, it holds up well.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Get some high heat paint at the autoparts, and after about a year of fixing tinkering and generally working your b--- off, you will have a filthy shop, but your bike will be in working order.

never spend more than your budget.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
You have a 30 year old bike with leaky carbs and doesn't look to good. Fix the carbs and ride it, the rest is a bad idea.
That's how I feel about the pipes on my CB450; unless I replace them with NOS for $$$, they will never look better than 45yo pipes. It rides nice, though!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only experience i have with plasti dip is on car rims. People have a tendancy to paint their rims with the stuff and bring it in for a tire to be changed. The first thing I do is go tell them that my machine WILL rub the dip off of all the edges, it doesnt take much to rub the stuff off.
Suprisingly enough some people rather ride on a bald tire than to peel the plasti dip off after a new tire.
Luckily im not in that business any more

1 - 8 of 8 Posts